Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Internet connection/wifi in highlands?

A friend and I are traveling through Scotland a couple of weeks next year. We're from the EU so internet connection shouldn't be a problem in pubs and B&B's, but I would understand if that might be different in the highlands. Anyone that can shed a little light on this? Do we need to buy a pocket wifi or something just in case? 

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Laleah , There are a lot of places in Highland Scotland that are without internet! Most places have at least 3G signals and basic internet (Good enough for checking emails etc)
    Some places have 4G but this is only good enough until someone is streaming live then the connection tends to break down.
    As the internet works over the telephone, please bear in mind that there are a lot of black holes in the network around Scotland where GPS etc doesn't work.
    The government have promised all rural areas that we will have at least 4G within the next few years but nothing has been finalised as yet.
    Hope that helps
    Graeme
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @Laleah

I have travelled to many places across Scotland and have rarely struggled with internet access. Most places are sufficient for checking emails and uploading to social media. But I've also stayed in places that have had good enough internet to stream Netflix etc. 

As @fishypro mentioned, be mindful that if you are going walking in the mountains, you can't reply on technology/3G/4G signal alone. 

Enjoy your trip
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • scothighlandsscothighlands Member ✭✭
    In my experience, a city like Inverness will have a fine internet signal to do most things. Towns and villages are usually pretty good, but once you get more rural, particularly around the north west, you can be without signal for example if there are roads without many settlements or inhabitants, such as some internal parts of Lairg and Sutherland. There are connectivity maps provided by most major UK mobile phone providers, so if you’re interested to know the 4G quality, you can get a good idea from here. For navigation if you’re exploring far out, I’d recommend downloading any updates of online maps before you travel and taking a paper map for back-up. 
    ___
    scothighlands | www.scothighlands.com