Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Paisley "City of Culture 2021"... would you agree? - what to see and do...

I live in Paisley and LOVE my home town.  So much to see and do with loads of "Hidden Gems".  We are going for the "City of Culture" in 2021 so wanted to know what your favourite thing in Paisley is.  For me it is:
* "Alien" gargoyle on Paisley Abbey 
* Paisley Museum - the weaving equipment there is staggering 
* Paisley Water Mill - the White Cart river rushing into Paisley here never fails to impress
* St Mirren Football club - but happy to be shouted down by any other competent football supporter!

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmyRVisitScotlandAmyR Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

@arjc1971 I totally agree! I think Paisley must have a fascinating story and I'd really like to find out more about it - it's on my bucket list! I'd love to take the Historical Walking Tour on Wheels to discover the town's hidden gems.

• VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @arjc1971. I used to work in Paisley a number of years ago and was always amazed at the beautiful buildings around the town. Paisley Abbey of course is just stunning. While working in the Information Centre in Paisley I was asked a lot by visitors about the Paisley Snail. I read up about it and have always found it to be a very interesting story. 
  • arjc1971arjc1971 Member ✭✭
    VisitScotlandLyndsay...Did you know there is even a little plaque dedicated to this event on the site of the original Pub where the event happened!  Very cool story!
  • ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I live near-ish Paisley and I really hope it does get the City of Culture. However, more improvement needs to be done on the high street there. It is a little run down and ever since Braehead opened, it hasn't helped either. 

Hopefully the bid gives the council momentum to change. 
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I'm most looking forward to seeing the Pride of Paisley - a public art trail of lions around town this summer :smile:
  • arjc1971arjc1971 Member ✭✭
    LOVING the "Pride of Paisley" Trail.  If bidding for the City of Culture is the lever that Paisley is using to increase it's profile, see some inward investment and use that investment to do things like this whilst improving the town...I'm all for it...Keep it up Paisley 
  • ScotloyalScotloyal Member
    What's the topic?
  • Mr_PaisleyMr_Paisley Member

@arjc1971 I totally agree! I think Paisley must have a fascinating story and I'd really like to find out more about it - it's on my bucket list! I'd love to take the Historical Walking Tour on Wheels to discover the town's hidden gems.

Hi Amy,
    Walking Tours on Wheels are having a Weave Guided Walking Tour on Saturday, 1st July, 2017, Sma' Shot Day. Time: 13.00 till 14.00

Please come and visit our stall we are having information on all the famous landmarks in Paisley. The tour is also starting from here. we're also displaying Paisley souvenirs Paisley Pattern scarfs.

“Book Your Free Guided Walking Tour with me and we can Weave ourselves around Paisley! While Exploring Paisley's Best-Kept-Secret” Take care, Les

• spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    I've always considered Mark Steel to be the ultimate authority on Paisley.

A very funny tale of a man discovering a Scottish town with a very real character of its own.