Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Castles reachable by public transport

Hello everyone,

I have been visiting Scotland for over three years now, and since I love historic sites I have tried to visit as many castles/palaces as I possibly can. Sadly, it can be a bit difficult to reach some of them by public transport, so I would love to share what castles everyone has managed to visit by public transport and share my own experiences as well. I have seen a previous thread here with the same idea, but that one is now a bit outdated so I figured an updated thread wouldn't hurt. I have tried to order these sites by naming the city from which I visited this castle, but do take in mind that there are probably multiple ways to reach a certain place. Hopefully this will help some of you out! 

Reachable from Glasgow:
-Linlithgow Palace (train to Linlithgow)
-Dumbarton Castle (train to Dumbarton)
-Newark Castle (train to Port Glasgow)
-Bothwell Castle (bus from the city of Glasgow)
-Cadzow Castle (train to Chatherault)

Reachable from Edinburgh:
-Edinburgh Castle (train to Edinburgh)

Reachable from Aberdeen:
-New Slains Castle (bus from Old Aberdeen)

Reachable from Stonehaven:
-Dunnottar Castle (train to Stonehaven and walk for about 40 minutes, or take a bus from Old Aberdeen that takes you straight to the castle)

Reachable from Stirling:
-Stirling Castle (train to Stirling)
-Doune Castle (train to Stirling and a bus from the city)

Reachable from Dundee:
-Broughty Ferry Castle (a bus from the city of Dundee)

Comments

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Glamis Castle is also reachable by public transport but can be a bit complicated. Monday to Saturday you get a bus from Dundee Bus Station to Forfar, there is about a 30 minute wait for a bus out to Glamis. But because it isn't far from Forfar, some people like to just get a Taxi there. On a Sunday there is a direct bus at 11am which takes you from Dundee bus station straight to the castle.

Scone Palace can be assessed by a couple of different buses from Perth City Centre. Perth Information Centre have timetables of all the buses that go to and from the Palace.

Floors Castle in Kelso is within walking distance of the town centre but getting to the town itself can be done via 2 ways from Edinburgh. You can get the bus direct from Edinburgh to Kelso or the Borders Railway from Edinburgh to Galashiels, then a bus from Galashiels to Kelso.

• IngeKleefmanIngeKleefman Member ✭✭

Glamis Castle is also reachable by public transport but can be a bit complicated. Monday to Saturday you get a bus from Dundee Bus Station to Forfar, there is about a 30 minute wait for a bus out to Glamis. But because it isn't far from Forfar, some people like to just get a Taxi there. On a Sunday there is a direct bus at 11am which takes you from Dundee bus station straight to the castle.

Scone Palace can be assessed by a couple of different buses from Perth City Centre. Perth Information Centre have timetables of all the buses that go to and from the Palace.

Floors Castle in Kelso is within walking distance of the town centre but getting to the town itself can be done via 2 ways from Edinburgh. You can get the bus direct from Edinburgh to Kelso or the Borders Railway from Edinburgh to Galashiels, then a bus from Galashiels to Kelso.

I actually happened to visit Scone today, we got a short bus from Perth but we ended up walking back to the city centre and it turned out to be quite doable. I’ve always wanted to visit Glamis too, but it seemed a bit complicated. This makes it a lot more clear, thank you!
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    You can visit Culzean Castle by taking a bus (60) from Ayr which stops right at the main entrance into the Park. You've then got about a mile walk to the Castle itself but the grounds are lovely to walk through.