Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

I want to say something

Hi , my husband and myself will be visiting the highlands in May. We are hoping to take in Elgin which is where I was born and would love to see,  also Lossiemouth where my late father was stationed in The Royal Navy, The Moray Firth and Inverness. We will be driving up from Wolverhampton. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should see while we are up there and also on the way back home.

Comments

• scothighlandsscothighlands Member ✭✭
    In Inverness, I particularly like the live Scottish music you’ll find in bars/venues like Hootananny, Gellions and Johnny Foxes.

The Ness Islands in the centre of the River Ness are a beautiful walk, if you follow the east bank of the river from the station. You can easily spend a couple of hours strolling there. 

Around Inverness, sights which are often mentioned (I’m yet to visit) are Fort George, Culloden Visitor Centre and Clava Cairns. 

On the way to/from Inverness, if you wanted to break your journey, I would spend a day at Durham Cathedral.

___
    scothighlands | www.scothighlands.com
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @Celena

Lossiemouth is such a pretty place. The beach is spectacular and on a good day can easily match the Hebridean sands that are so highly rated. 

I haven't been to Findhorn but that also looks beautiful. 

The pretty harbour towns of Cullen and Portsoy are well worth a visit too. You could check out Bow Fiddle rock at Portknockie too. 

A bit further afield, Perterhead Prison Museum is well worth a going to. Originally an old prison opened in 1888 and the prisoners were used to build the harbour wall in Peterhead. Back in the late 80's a riot broke out and a prison officer was held hostage on the roof for several days until he was rescued by the SAS. It sounds random to suggest that you see this on your holiday, but it is fascinating. 

Inland - the Speyside Cooperage is a good place to visit too. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • IngeKleefmanIngeKleefman Member ✭✭
    I heard Elgin Cathedral is beautiful, if you hadn't planned on seeing that already. I can confirm Fort George and Culloden are well worth a visit if that's the sort of thing you're interested in, and I would recommend Urquhart Castle as well. I love historic sites myself but even those that aren't necessarily keen on them will love this one, since it is situated on Loch Ness and really a beautiful place to visit.