Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Car Parking in Edinburgh

We're going to be visiting next year due and I keep hearing stories about how bad it is to drive in Edinburgh. Plus we have that pesky driving on the opposite side of the road issue. Now I'm nervous about taking a rental car anywhere near downtown (I'm sure any area pedestrians might be equally as nervous). ;-) 1. is driving in Edinburgh really that bad? and 2. are there car parks on the outskirts of Edinburgh one might be able to leave a car at? Wondering if we should park them outside the city for a few days and take a taxi in. 

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @SeattleCat the roads in Edinburgh are not that bad to drive for us. Maybe it will be for someone that is a little nervous about driving in a strange country & on the wrong side of the road. There are several Park & Rides on the outskirts of the city that work perfectly. It all depends on which side of the city you are approaching from. It would make sense to use a Park & Ride instead of trying to park in a park house where they can be quite narrow if you are in a strange car.
    Hope that helps
    Graeme
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Hi @SeattleCat

Driving somewhere new for anyone can be a scary thought and especially with driving on the other side of the road to contend with. I always get people asking about travelling to Edinburgh by car and I always recommend the Park and Rides. Its free parking which in itself is a great reason to do it as city parking can be really expensive. The buses into the city centre are really frequent so there isn't much waiting around until the next one and the price for the bus is cheaper than what you would pay for parking. They will take you right into the main city centre so it really is that easy. There are a few around the city so depending where you are will determine which is the best one to use. You can check out more information about the Edinburgh Park and Rides here

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I only live in Perth @SeattleCat and I prefer to use the tram and Park and Ride facilities. If for nothing else than it is expensive to park in the city centre. 

Just be sure to check that overnight parking is available if you choose to use park and ride as I know Ingliston (near the airport) does not allow this. 

If you are planning on not going out of Edinburgh then I would suggest not hiring a vehicle at all. It is a compact city and walkable but public transport is good too. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • SeattleCatSeattleCat Member
    Thanks for the tips! I wasn't sure if park and rides allowed overnight cars. In the US you can get towed for leaving one overnight.