Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Looking for suggestions: Pitlochry->Aberdeen & coast Edinburgh->Aberdeen + practicalities

Hi everybody!
I am coming to Scotland in mid-October and visiting Edinburgh, the Cairngorms and the Shetlands.
I am now looking for possible stops in little mountain/countryside/coastal villages worth visiting and out of the beaten track - who better than you could suggest me wonders not to miss? : ) :3
Basically I have one day to spend while going from Pitlochry to Aberdeen for catching the night ferry to Lerwick + one day at my return, from Aberdeen to Edinburgh... Love wondering in nature and quaint little towns. And fishermen villages are just my thing :) Distilleries could be another option... 
Any idea? I was looking into Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail maybe...
I rely on public transport, so the easir it gets by train, the better... 
Thanks a lot for stopping by and reading, looking forward to receiving hints from you :)
Cheers,
Sara

ps. about practicalities... what can I expect in terms of weather around that time of the year? Also, what to bring for passing the night on the ferry Aberdeen-Lerwick? Sleeping bag? Not really sure what to expect, just seats, right?

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Our resident Pitlochry expert might have some suggestions for you -  @fishypro can you help?
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Pantsara, How long are you in Pitlochry for? How many hours / days?
    Have you already planned your transport? How do you want to get from Pitlochry to Aberdeen? Over Perth & Dundee?
    Let me know the answers to the above and I can help you out around the Pitlochry area.
    regards
    Graeme

Best regards
    fishypro
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Within Aberdeen, you could take the time between the train arriving and the ferry departing (if any) to visit the Footdee area which used to be an old fishing village.

Near Aberdeen, I would strongly suggest taking a stop at either Stonehaven or Arbroath. They are towns but fishing is a mainstay for both of them and the latter is very well known for it's specific type of smoked fish called Smokies. If you have a weeknight to spare, I would recommend looking at Fraserburgh north of Aberdeen. Takes 1:45 by bus and I think you would enjoy it.

The stops you've noted in Fife (Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail) are fantastic on the way to Edinburgh. I'd also Kirkcaldy to the list. Just make sure the weather isn't too wet :)
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)