Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best museum exhibits

VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
Some of our museums have some pretty spectacular exhibits - from Spitfires and elephants to ancient Chessmen and Royal beds.

But what about this one - a replica of the National Museum of Scotland building (in Edinburgh)... made out of Lego!

Check out the video on BBC News or find out more on how they built the model. Best of all, you can see it yourself at the museum until 1 December!

(Inside the real building)

What's the coolest thing you've seen displayed inside (or outside) a Scottish museum or gallery?

Comments

• arjc1971arjc1971 Member ✭✭
    The lego exhibit in Paisley Museum last December.  It was BRILLIANT, so creative and above all FUN.  We got to play with the Lego and add our own unique building to a large display.  was there with the kids for almost 2 hours and didn't even notice the time slip past. 
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The Hamilton Toy Museum in the town of Callander is a wee hidden gem. From the main street the museum looks like it is very small, but it is surprisingly very big once you step inside with any available space packed full of toys dating back from over 100 years ago. Corgi cars, chopper bikes, Dinky toys, Noddy, Action Man and a Humpty Dumpty to name just a few. Definitely worth a visit.....it will bring back memories of childhood for sure  o:) 
  • VisitScotlandJoanneVisitScotlandJoanne Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The Sharmanka Merry-Go-World exhibition at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery last year was really quite unique :smile: A few years ago the gallery also had an exhibition of Robert Mapplethorpe's photography, which was incredible to see up close and in detail.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a sucker for those funny faced Lewis chessmen in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. 

Below are the actual funny faced guys plus a giant replica located at Uig on the Isle of Lewis where they were discovered. 

Being a die hard history geek another favourite is the Orcadian Viking burial also found at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 2016
    The National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh has recently launched ten new galleries with lots of interesting and eclectic exhibits. There really is something for everyone there. 
  • The Museum of Flight in East Lothian is worthwhile a trip - they refurbished their main hangars and Concorde's story is amazing!
  • VisitScotlandIanVisitScotlandIan Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Earlier this year we had a fantastic exhibit at Inverness Museum and Art Gallery, it was by a locally-based musician and artist, Jeep Solid. It is entitled the Kingdom of Moray and visitors told me they found it quite mesmerizing in fact someone described it as the cultural event of the year perhaps even the decade! Jeep Solid also known as Roderick Mackenzie has been in the music business for many years and I would highly recommend listening to his new album.
  • KenMKenM Member ✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed a visit to the McManus Gallery in Dundee last month which includes a fascinating look at the history of the city.  With eight galleries in a beautiful building in the city centre it's well worth a trip.
  • National Mining Museum Scotland in Newtongrange is a real hidden gem!!  Two floors of fascinating exhibitions telling the story of coal for Scotland and the social history of the miners and their families.  Then a guided tour of the Lady Victoria Colliery with the insights of ex-miner guides!  Lots of activities to keep the whole family amused!  The Borders Railway train stops right outside and takes 20 minutes from Edinburgh Waverley or Tweedbank!