Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

I just started and cannot choose!!!

Hello, I just started our August trip to Scotland. I am so excited but also overwhelmed, there is so much to do and see!!! We go with kids, 5 + 8, we go by our own car, with tent and accessories...we start at Newcastle - Bamburgh and Harry Potter Castle, then to Edinburgh (staying at family friends), 2 days, then to Kirchmichael, staying at friends...and then we want to make a 5-6 days ride along the shore, see some beautiful beaches, lighthouses, castles, do some walk - Petershead and to the east...then Inverness and Skye, but now I am not sure about South of Scotland which looks so amazing too...but we need to see the Loch Ness and we have to go back to Newcastle for the ferry. Any hints, what to seriously not miss? Thank you in advance!!!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    How many days do you have for the Petershead - Loch Ness - Skye and back to Newcastle bit? I'd be great if you can spend 7-10 days in that stretch.

If you are staying in Kirkmichael, you'll have access to quite an underrated and beautiful part of Scotland. Recommend daytrips to Glentrool, Culzean castle and Arran (ideally for a couple of nights on Arran).

You are pretty spoilt for choice even in your initial itinerary. On your way to Peterhead (which I am assuming is the town in Aberdeen) you can have stops at Dundee (new V&A) and Stonehaven (Dunnottar Castle). While you're based in the area, spend a day driving down Scotland's castle trail on Deeside: https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/attractions/castles/scotland-castle-trail/

Lastly, if you are planning to see Skye then pick a few dates and book your stay asap to avoid disappointment. Let me know if you have specific follow up questions.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Scotland does have so much on offer and it is always hard to pick what are the best bits to visit.

The south of Scotland is a very beautiful area with so much history. There are Castles, towers and Abbeys to visit. In the town of Melrose there is an Abbey, where Robert the Bruce's heart is buried. They have some lovely gardens and a nice riverside walk. There is also a Roman museum in the town as not far from Melrose is the site of the Roman Fort Trimontium, which means 3 Mountains as it sits at the bottom of the Eildon Hills. The Eildons are 3 hills which you can walk up, but aren't too high so children can easily walk them. The views from the top are amazing and you can take in the beautiful Border countryside.

Abbotsford House sits near Melrose and was the home of Sir Walter Scott. Not far you have Scotts View which is a stunning view of the Eildon Hills and where Scott used to sit and get inspiration for his novels. Further down the road you have Dryburgh Abbey where he is buried.

In Eyemouth, which is on the coast heading down towards the English Border there is Gunsgreen House, a smugglers palace and a great place for all the family and one that kids love.

Further up from Eyemouth you have St Abbs Head Nature Reserve with its breath taking coastal headland with dramatic cliffs which is famous for its seabird colonies.

Hope that helps with just a little taster of what the south has to offer.

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @SimcaP -  that sounds like you have some amazing plans. I would also leave some time unplanned for any new places you discover whilst you are here. This will give you time to explore them or have options to stay longer or do something else. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube