Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Clans

I'm trying to determine which clan I belong to.  My surname is Davenport and some of my ancestors include King James Stewart I & IV; Douglas; Drummond; Hepburn; Livingston.  I'm asking because I am planning a trip to Ireland, Scotland and England to discover my wonderful ancestry and I want to purchase items that reflect my family tree.  Thank you in advance for helping me.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Kind regards, Kimberly

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Hi @Norcalfilly

My husband is very interested in his ancestry as well so I have got him to write a reply for you:

Do you know who your closest Scottish ancestor is? This tends to be who diaspora (including my Kiwi self) identify as their clan, however, this does not mean you have to. My personal closest identifiable clan is Johnstone so that is the tartan I picked for my kilt. But I also have ancestors that are Stewart, Douglas, Fraser, Scot McIntyre, MacDougall, Murray and so on(as well as surnames I couldn’t identify with a clan). The further back you go and the better your depth of research the greater breadth of knowledge you will find and fun family connections. I try to get out to as many of their castles and towns as I can particular if I find a noble or royal connection as their locations at certain times was often recorded. The castles and towns often have clan related merchandise you can buy on site or you can buy items easily in the main centers for the larger clans.

Having an identifiable ancestor is the easiest way so seeing a Stewart is nice but not necessarily your closest clan relative. When you say Douglas, Drummon, Hepburn and Livingston do you know any more details? Some like Livingston I would guess are a location name and not a clan but I could be wrong. I have Annandale in my ancestry but I can’t tell which clans if any these ancestors belonged to.

For the bigger clans like Douglas there can be quite a few branches. Notable for Douglas is the Red Douglas and Black Douglas so further detail can help narrow down what connections within the clan you have.

Do you know where your Devonport line is from? Or is there a closer ancestor who has a Scottish surname? Some surnames can come from multiple countries so narrowing it down if you can is always helpful, if not no worries there will be other ways you can develop your understanding of your ancestry, perhaps a different lineage.

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

I love trying to trace ancestors and trying to find out where everyone came from. I hope this map may be of help to you to show where all the clans hail from.

If you are looking for places to visit with connections to the names given, Traquair House in the Scottish Borders has links with the Stewart family and was visited by 27 Scottish Kings and Queens. The significance of this house is that the Bear Gates at the entrance were closed after Bonnie Prince Charlie left and the Earl said they would never be open again until another Stewart was back on the throne. They still remain closed to this day.