Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Edinburgh one day nature walks

I'm going to Edinburgh for a week soon and would like to take a few one day walks in nature (coast, mountains, ...) Preferably accessible by train or bus. What are recommendations? (I have already checked walkhighlands.co.uk/lothian but it is difficult to determine what is worth the most).

Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I always recommend that the Pentlands are a great walk and have fantastic views from the top! If you're wanting something closer to the centre of Edinburgh we have Arthur's Seat, Braid Hills, Corstorphine and the Water of Leith as well. 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    The Fife Coastal Path is well worth checking out. Although there is a distinct lack of mountains in Fife, the views along this route are bonnie and there is plenty of wildlife. 
    There are a few places accessible via train to start the route from too. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

A little bit further down is the Scottish Borders where you can climb the Eildon Hills. These are 3 hills in the central Borders that are part of the St Cuthberts Way and there was a once a hill fort on one of the hills. The walk starts in the beautiful town of Melrose, which has nice riverside walks, some National Trust Gardens and Melrose Abbey. There is also a Roman Museum and a short walk away from the town you have the site of the old Roman Fort as well.

You can get to the Borders by taking the train from Edinburgh Waverly to Galashiels, which takes about 1 hour and then pick up a bus from the interchange to Melrose or a Taxi, as Melrose is only a few miles away from Galashiels. The train does go all the way Tweedbank but the buses aren't as regular from there, but it would maybe be a 20-30 minute walk into the centre of Melrose.