Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Portsoy, Banffshire

I would be so pleased to hear from anyone in Portsoy who may have information regarding my family.  My Father's name  Alexander (Sandy) Watson, Stonemason, born in 189l. My Mother Isabella Watson (Slater), born in 1898.  Emigrated to Canada in approx. 1926 with my 3 brothers, Alexander (Jack), Milton and Magnus.  I was born in Canada.  My Dad's home address was 1 Durn Rd. (I believe now demolished).  I believe my Mom's home was on Seafield Street.  Her parents, James Slater and Annie Slater (nee Wood) also emigrated to Canada before my parents with their other 4 children, John, George, Margaret and William.  My Mother's Uncle, George Wood. was the mayor of Portsoy when the Queen visited in, I believe, 1960.  I have a picture of him shaking hands with the Queen which I would gladly give to anyone gathering information on Portsoy.

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

@Petrie. My husband is looking into his ancestry as well and found reaching out via email to the local community often gives helpful results. A good point of call would be the local mayor’s office and ask for your contact details to be passed on to any of your uncle's descendants.  

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram