Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

American Planning Hiking Trip for late Aug/early Sep

Hi, I'm planning on taking a 5-10 day trip in late August or early September to go to Scotland for hiking, backpacking, and that sort of outdoors stuff. Advice on must-see locations or views, moderate (not overly dangerous, but not a noon picnic) hiking areas, and what kind of weather and wildlife I should expect and prepare for would be very much appreciated. General advice on in-country and transatlantic travel also welcome.

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello and welcome to the community! I'd suggest getting this trip booked up as soon as possible as you'll be coming here at a popular time of year. Do you know which airport or train station you'll arrive at for your entry into Scotland?

Weather wise you're best to bring layers that you can easily add and remove, and make sure to bring something waterproof. 

What wildlife you'll see will depend on your location, and your luck! I was in the Highlands a month ago and I saw foxes, hares, stoats, pine martens, deers and highland coos. I think I was pretty lucky to see the pine martens and stoats, but otherwise you could probably expect to see similar wildlife to me if you're in the Highlands during your time here.

In terms of a good walking route that is a challenge but not too crazy, I did Schiehallion last year and absolutely loved it. The views at the top were incredible! 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • DragnflyDragnfly Member
    edited July 14
    I hope that it is okay to not have a plan because I didn't make one. I will arrive in Glasgow August 6 with no plans other than seeing the land and sights before me while I rack up miles in my boots. I think I am fit to hike whatever is before me, or go around it.  My greatest concern is finding a store or outfitter to replace gear or supplies...such as fuel for my camp stove, trekking poles, and anything else that I'm not allowed to take on the plane. I'm hoping a taxi can point the way for that and drop me off at a trailhead. If anyone one knows a specific store in Glasgow that might cover what I need please reply.
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭

@Dragnfly if I was being really critical then I would say not making a plan is not the wisest of ideas. At least do some basic research into weather, terrain and possible routes before heading over. Familiarise yourself with map reading skills and know who to contact in case of an emergency. 

Leaving it a bit late with no plan might also be a problem if you were thinking of staying in any accommodation. The first week of August is always crazy busy so you will struggle to find anything. However if you’re mostly camping then I suspect you’ll be fine.

You’re spoiled for choice in regards to outdoor shops in Glasgow and most bigger towns usually have somewhere you can pick up kit too. Tiso have a shop on Buchanan St where you can pick up supplies. They've got stores across the country and there are also shops like Blacks, Craigdon and Ellis Brigham across Scotland. 

The obvious option for starting from Glasgow would be to head to the West Highland Way and tackle that. It’s mostly flat but goes through some stunning countryside via Loch Lomond, Rannoch Moor, Glen Coe and Glen Nevis. It's relatively easy to get to the start of the trail and you would just get a train or bus to Milngavie from Glasgow City Centre. 

Alternatively there's the Great Glen Way which starts in Fort William and finishes in Inverness and the recently launched Loch Ness 360 trail that takes you around the Loch. These are all multi-day trails and you have plenty of opportunities to wild camp, although there are campsites along the routes. Trains and buses run regularly to both Inverness and Fort William to get to those.