Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

In celebration of World Gin Day 2019!

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

World Gin Day on the 8th of June is a global celebration of all things gin with a simple idea: get your pals together and drink your favourite gins together! Gin is my drink of choice so as you can imagine, I need little to no convincing that this is a great idea!

So in honour of World Gin Day I wanted to highlight some of my favourite Scottish gins and gin experiences - and please feel free to chime in with anything I'm missing! Gin lovers are spoiled for choice in Scotland, but here are a few of my faves:

1. Pickering's Gin Tour
The story behind Pickering's Gin is a fun one: The original Bombay recipe was hand written in India in 1947 then kept as a family secret for 66 years before an adapted version began being distilled in Edinburgh in 2013 - with the same fragrant spices and citrus fruits, but with a softer and smoother finish. You can book their tour for only £10 at Summerhall in Edinburgh and learn more about their company history, as well as sample some for yourself and buy from their shop! Tour information and bookings here

2. Daffy's Gin School
Made with Lebanese mint and featuring tasting notes of toffee, citrus and spiced caramel, Daffy's gin can be enjoyed straight over ice or mixed into a cocktail. And even better, they now have their gin school in Strathmashie open! Learn first hand how to design the flavour profile of your gin and forage from the hills nearby for botanics to create and distill your own personalised gin. Learn more about the gin school here

3. Ginnasium - The Ultimate Gin Tasting Experience
One Square Edinburgh offers a unique gin tasting experience including 4 gins of your choice paired with the recommended tonic, and the chance to batch your own mini One Square gin from a barrel and seal it with a wax seal to take home. Click here to enquire about prices and bookings

Special mentions: I can't write a post about Scottish gin without also recommending some of my other favourites too. Other than Pickering's and Daffy's mentioned above, I also usually have my top shelf stocked with Hendricks, Isle of Harris and Caorunn too! I also recently tried Colonsay Gin for the first time and it's one of the few gins I think tastes even better without a garnish! 

Check out our map of Scottish gin here as well

What's your fave? Or do you have one you've been wanting to try? 
Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram