Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Questions About Golf in Scotland

Hello.....
I'm new to this site and have questions you might help me with. I am considering a golf vacation by myself summer 2020, and I'm wondering if that would work since I would be golfing as a single, not with a group. Also: is it possible for me to rent a car in Scotland since I will be 76 years old but in very good health (I have heard there may be age restrictions). I regularly drive California freeways.
In Scotland does one drive on the right side or the left side of the road? 
Looking forward to hearing back.

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @jay_finger176We drive on the left side of the road so you may want to ask about hiring an automatic car to make the change a little easier.
    I don't know about the age restrictions for hiring cars in Scotland.
    Golf will be fine. There is always room for a single player that can pair up to make a 3ball or 4ball.
    Afternoons are always quiet on the courses in Scotland.

Hope that helps!

Best regards
    fishypro
  • davidcamerondavidcameron Member ✭✭
    You'll be driving in the left side and yes you'll be able to rent a car, provided you submit a doctor's note stating you are fit to drive (this applies to a few agencies for renting out a car to people more than 75yrs of age)
  • VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

There are lots of lovely golf courses around the whole of Scotland and there will be no problem with you playing on your own. Weekdays will probably be a lot more quieter than weekends.

Like said above some of the car rental companies require a medical note for all people over 75

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @jay_finger176

Do you have any particular area in mind to visit? 
    I know that many golfers wish to play on one of our many links courses but some of the inland courses are equally pretty and challenging. 

Insch Golf Course in Aberdeenshire is really pretty, nice wide fairways and challenging holes. 

Kinross Golf Course - close to Perth. They have two 18 hole courses too. 

Here in Perth we also have the King James VI Golf Course. It is thought to be the only inland (river) island in the UK and was designed by "Old" Tom Morris. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • wetwolfwetwolf Member ✭✭
    another Tom Morris course is in Cullen.  Right on the water.  interesting.

One bit of advice.  If you plan to take your clubs, it is not a big deal flying with them but you have to watch your luggage weight.  I recommend a soft case over a hard case.  The soft case is lighter and fits into the car a LOT easier when you have other luggage with you.