Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What Are The Best Places to Experience Traditional Scottish Food?

VisitScotlandAbigailVisitScotlandAbigail Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Scotland’s stunning landscapes and clear coastal waters make for a unique and abundant natural larder. From the renowned haggis, to lesser known specialities like Cullen skink, Scotland is a foodie’s paradise.

Because of this, I’m interested to see the different ways other people have been able to experience traditional Scottish food on their travels here. I’ve already found a few restaurants in Glasgow and Edinburgh that are brilliant for authentic Scottish dishes!

1. Wee LOCHAN, Glasgow

Based in Glasgow’s West End, this small restaurant has an array of Scottish specialities to choose from. Whether you’re in the mood for some seasonal Scottish lamb or a bit of Stornoway black pudding, the Wee LOCHAN is the perfect place to try some authentic Glaswegian food. They even do an all-day Sunday roast!

2. Hendersons, Edinburgh

Despite many traditional Scottish dishes containing meat of some sort, there’s no need to miss out, even if you’re vegetarian. Hendersons in Edinburgh’s New Town has a menu filled with traditional food but without the meat. So, if you fancy having a try of some vegan haggis during your trip, make sure to pay them a visit. There’s always time for a drink and some music in the evening too!

3. Cafe Royal, Edinburgh

The Café Royal puts great emphasise on providing diners with an authentic Scottish food experience, seen especially in their vast selection of Scottish dishes on offer. From Arbroath Smokies, to Haggis Bon Bons, and even traditional Cullen skink, it’s almost impossible not to find something that’ll give you a true taste of Scotland. A full Scottish supper is also available for those who want the full experience during their time in Scotland.

Where are some of the best places you’ve experienced traditional Scottish food? If you’ve ever been on some interesting food tours or been to any great restaurants in Scotland, let me know! I’m keen to discover more!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @VisitScotlandAbigail, I wrote about my 9 favourite Scottish food items that I have had the pleasure to taste across Scotland here (also listed below): https://beyondourhorizons.com/2017/06/19/9-speciality-scottish-foods/ In terms of eating out, few places in the country can beat the fresh (and affordable) seafood sold at the green shack at Oban port, as traditional as it gets.
    • Hammond Charcuterie products – Edinburgh Farmers market
    • MacLeod & MacLeod Black pudding – Stornoway
    • Smoked cheese – Highland charcuterie Sutherland
    • Loch Harport Oysters – Carbost, Isle of Skye
    • Orkney lamb – E Flett butchers, Stromness Orkney
    • Laphroaig marmalade – Islay
    • Smoked & fresh fish – Andy Race Fish Merchants, Mallaig
    • Haggis – Isle of Arran butchers, Blackwaterfoot, Arran
    • Tunnocks (dark chocolate) teacakes – Glasgow
    I have a few Edinburgh restaurant recommendations in another thread that might be worth checking out: https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/comment/7715#Comment_7715
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    @Horizons ;the seafood shack at Oban is amazing, reminds me that I'll need to make a return visit soon! Likewise there's one up in Ullapool that's just as good. 

I was pleasantly surprised by The Doric on Market St in Edinburgh last week when I was down for a few days. They've got an excellent selection of craft beers available and the food was of a really high standard. I'll definitely be back the next time I'm working at that end of the city. 

In terms of Black Pudding, Charley Barley is always going to top my list. I find Macleod and Macleod's to be far too oily. Sadly I always struggle to find it on the mainland although I could make the effort to order it online I suppose! 

If anyone is off on a roadtrip out West then The Applecross Inn should be on your list of places to go and visit. They also own the Loch Ness Inn in Drumnadrochit and the food is of the same high standard. 
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    @Horizons ;the seafood shack at Oban is amazing, reminds me that I'll need to make a return visit soon! Likewise there's one up in Ullapool that's just as good. 

I was pleasantly surprised by The Doric on Market St in Edinburgh last week when I was down for a few days. They've got an excellent selection of craft beers available and the food was of a really high standard. I'll definitely be back the next time I'm working at that end of the city. 

In terms of Black Pudding, Charley Barley is always going to top my list. I find Macleod and Macleod's to be far too oily. Sadly I always struggle to find it on the mainland although I could make the effort to order it online I suppose! 

If anyone is off on a roadtrip out West then The Applecross Inn should be on your list of places to go and visit. They also own the Loch Ness Inn in Drumnadrochit and the food is of the same high standard.