Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Favourite wildlife in Scotland?

LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
What's your favourite animal you've seen in Scotland so far? 

Im lucky enough to work outside all day so encounter a lot of animals in my travels! And it's getting to be a good time of year to catch some as they race to raise their young before the Autumn sets in! 

There there are still a few I want to see, namely the wild cat and killer whale, but below are a few I've stumbled across to date 

Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp

Comments

• VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
    Great pictures @Lochgmarcp! We've been on the lookout for some of Scotland's wildlife recently - we've just finished our new Scottish Wildlife Series eBook. We're hoping to add more animals over the year - hope we have the same luck of spotting them as you have.
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Amazing pictures @Lochgmarcp ! A great place to see wildlife up close is The Lodge Visitor Centre which is located just outside the village of Aberfoyle. Inside the centre there are live CCTV cameras where you can watch osperys, red squirrels and water voles. Also, taking a short walk along one of the many pathways surrounding the centre, you will find the Red Squirrel Hide. Here you can watch these fantastic creatures go about their business.  :) <3
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    So many to choose from. Red Squirrel in Killin, Mull eagles, Jura stags, white mountain hares on Ben Chonzie but my most memorable was getting the ferry to Tobermory from Ardnamurchan and being followed across by a dolphin. Stunning creatures. Oh and I was delighted to finally see the elusive otter last year. Yay.

Beautiful photos @Lochgmarcp  
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• HelbelHelbel Member ✭✭
    One of the best things about travelling to the Islands is the chance to spot dolphin. Had some great sightings on the ferry from Mallaig to Skye last September. Magnificent. Any one else got great tips for best places to spot dolphin in Scotland?
  • LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    @Samantha_Grant we have very similar favourites! And the dolphins are great a this time of year! Off to Mull on Friday to climb to the eagle nests so hopefully share some more images after that! 
    the dolphins are great, you can spot then quite frequently on the west coast at this time of year and the Minke whales should be more common now as well :-) @Helbel
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I'm jealous. Looking forward to your photos. We're not back until early Sept. Can't wait. I'll see it from Ardnamurchan this weekend though and maybe some Scottish wildlife too if I'm lucky.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    Asking for my favourite animal is liking asking for my favourite band or song, entirely depends on my mood or where I am! I'm lucky enough to live in Drumnadrochit so I've got a plethora of wildlife on my doorstep.  :)

Recent highlights are probably seeing the Dolphins at North Kessock, I prefer watching them from there rather than Chanonry Point because it's usually a little less hectic. I'm a birder too so simple things like seeing Swift in summer or hearing Chiff Chaff makes me very happy. Last year I managed to get a life tick and saw a White-Tailed Sea Eagle from the road as we were driving up the Bealach na Ba. The challenge was trying to find somewhere to safely pull over and grab the bins before it disappeared off over the hill!
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    My spring/summer isn't  complete until I have heard the cuckoo and swifts. Both lift my heart as do sightings of Red Squirrels here in Perthshire!

• AmyNessAmyNess Member ✭✭
    I love oystercatchers! 

I love the way they run, but in particular I love the Scottish folk-story that their cry - ‘Bi Glic! Bi Glic!’ - is actually Gaelic, and translates as ‘Be wise, be wise'. This is why they're on the Scottish Police College Coat of arms. 

They have a habit of flying past just as I'm about to do something unwise! 
  • Robin_Fae_UnstRobin_Fae_Unst Member ✭✭
    I've been lucky enough to see Killer Whales on numerous occasions here in Shetland and they never stop being impressive. But I love my snorkeling and my current favourite creature is the Cowrie (many will know them as grottie buckie) common to see the shells on beaches which look nice enough but when you see them underwater crawling around they are just amazing - I'll maybe pop back and put up a picture when I can :)    
    From the island above all others, Unst is Britain's northern most island.
    Shetland is an amazing and unique location to visit and all of us Shetlanders are eager to share our wonderful little part of the world with everyone, so come along & visit us. 
    Join me on my underwater explorations of Shetland at my instagram @rdmouatt ;
    @AmyNess I love Oystercatchers too but I call them pleeps from the sound they make. 
    Really nice shots and amazing that you have got to see Killer whales, I have wanted to see one all since I was a young lad but haven't been lucky enough yet! I'll need to try harder to see them this year! @Robin_Fae_Unst
  • MargaretMargaret Member ✭✭
    Those pics are fantastic!  I recently found a bird of prey in the back garden - not quick enough with the camera though - maybe next time  :/
    Aw really? That's cool, do you know what type of bird it was? @Margaret
  • VisitScotlandNikkiRVisitScotlandNikkiR Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I'm very lucky where I live in Strontian & Ardnamurchan . We have an abundance of wildlife in the area. From the elusive Scottish Wild Cat to the Barn Doors of the Skies, the Sea Eagle. The Chequered Skipper Butterfly can be found in our Ancient Oak Woods. Pine Martins are often spotted in the area and Loch Sunart has, on the last count, over 1400 otter holts. The Loch itself is full of wonderful marine wildlife and has lots of interesting dive sites.   
    My husband watched in wonder as a wee roe deer buck jumped into the Union Canal, swam across and popped out on the towpath in front of us as we walked near Linlithgow. Did we have a camera ready.....of course not!
    @visitscotlandbrian lovely photos! Not too keen on the greys either and glad we don't get them here on the west coast! 
    edited July 2016
    @VisitScotlandNikkiR wow what a lovely place to stay and not toooo far from where I stay! Love the pine martins and have always wanted to see a wild cat! Sounds like I'll need to hear that way for a camping trip
  • shetlanddebbieshetlanddebbie Member ✭✭
    I love visiting the puffins at Sumburgh Head Nature Reserve.  It's so amazing being able to see them up close in their natural environment.
  • jegsterjegster Member
    Love the pictures very inspiring and I'll be sure to keep my eyes open on my travels around Scotland
  • @Robin_Fae_Unst Your pics are amazing!! I've ALWAYS wanted to see Killer Whales. It's on the top of my list! Where do you do your snorkeling? 
  • ZubenelgenubiZubenelgenubi Member ✭✭
    Nothing fancy but there are Oyster Catchers at the office here. They are so cute.
    Awaiting arrival of witty signature.
  • RondoRondo Member
    Love the osprey pics, such a beautiful bird
    @Rondo they are pretty ace! I was just climbing to osprey nests today.. Will post a couple of photos shortly :smiley:
    Views from inside an osprey nest, Loch Awe side 
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @Lochgmarcp @Rondo Ospreys are so majestic - we are lucky to have several nesting sites in the Scottish Borders where they can be viewed. @VisitScotlandNikkiR Pine Martens are really special too, and also quite rare and elusive - I had a lecturer at uni who researched them for her PhD and who enthused about them which in turn rubbed off on us, her Ecotourism students.
  • BushmanBushman Member ✭✭
    The First time i visited Skye with my wife, we turned of the road from Broadford to Armadale to head for the small hamlet of Ord. As we came round a corner there was a red hind and a yearling standing in the middle of the road in no hurry to move. we watched them for about 5 mins before they wandered off. The very next morning my wife opened the curtains to find another hind looking at here i still tease here about the yell she let out  :D In the middle of the week i was having a look around from the cottage with the bino's when i spotted a sea eagle that came closer and closer.  That whole week was superb for wildlife although my wife wasn't to keen on the sound the hinds made at night as it was the rut.
  • VisitScotlandNikkiRVisitScotlandNikkiR Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @ElaineR pine martins are regularly seen in this area and quiet a few self catering cottages have regular visits from them looking for some sweet treats. I was informed once that Pine Martins used to be called Sweet Martins because their droppings smell sweet! Would love to know about them.