Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Planning route from St Kilda to Edinburgh?

I am looking to plan a route leaving St Kilda, travelling to Edinburgh for a novel. Can anyone help with mapping/transport/logistical information? 

Comments

• LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 28
    Charter companies are your best bet to get to St Kilda, although the NTS do offer the opportunity to go over on work parties. A charter would be your best option though: https://www.kilda.org.uk/frame14.htm The Island isn't inhabited although I believe you can possibly camp or stay in one of the bunkhouses but you may have to get in touch with the NTS about that. Details are in the link. 

In terms of getting there you can fly to Stornoway from Edinburgh which is the most direct route, but not necessarily the cheapest way of doing it. Then it's just a matter of picking up one of the charters that leave from the island to get to St Kilda. Kilda Cruises depart from Harris and they're highly recommended. It is very weather dependent though, the crossing can be a wee bit bumpy and they're not always able to make landfall. 

Other options would be to get the train from Edinburgh to Inverness and then the bus to Ullapool to connect with the ferry. Or you could hire a car and get over on the ferry that way. Car hire gives you a lot more flexibility and you're not so dependent on public transport. Once you're over on St Kilda I guess you'll just reverse the route!

Alternatives for scenic routes could involve going from Edinburgh through Stirling, The Trossachs, Glen Coe, Fort William and Skye (via the ferry at Mallaig) and then on to Harris using the Uig to Tarbert ferry. It's a long drive but the scenery is stunning the whole way there. I'd recommend taking a few days to do it though to really enjoy it. 

( @VisitScotlandAmanda first version of this post didn't go through, said it was submitted for approval, not sure what happened there! )

• LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Christy , St Kilda doesn't have a permanent population so most journeys to the island are done by charter boats. I spotted your earlier post about a Harbour Master and I don't think there's a port authority based there (could be wrong though) but I reckon your best bet would be to contact one of the charter boats for info. They'll certainly be able to help in regards to making contact with the relevant folk. There is a ranger and warden on site too: https://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/see-and-do/activities/sail-hebrides/atlantic-coast/st-kilda

In terms of getting there, Kilda Cruises are highly recommended, I know people who have sailed with them before and they really enjoyed it. It's a long trip and can get quite rough too, there's also a reasonable chance you won't make landfall if it's too choppy.

So basically to get there you need to get to Lewis and Harris first. There's any number of ways to get there. You can fly to Stornoway Airport on Lewis from Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh airports. Or for the more scenic route you can get a ferry to the Island either via Skye and the Uig to Tarbert Harris ferry or from Ullapool to Stornoway. It entirely depends where you're coming from and how long you want to take. 

The most obvious route if you're coming from Glasgow/Edinburgh is to get the train to Inverness, bus to Ullapool and then ferry to Stornoway. There are buses from Stornoway to Harris which should connect you up with your St Kilda charter. 

Then you would just reverse your route to get back to Edinburgh. Another option would be to hire a car and get over to Lewis and Harris via the ferry. That would give you a lot more flexibility when it comes to planning your route and is slightly less limiting than having to rely on public transport. 

Hope that helps get you started!