Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Favourite Scottish writers?

2»

Comments

• JWGJWG Member ✭✭
    My favorite is the late poet, novelist & dramatist George Mackay Brown from Stromness in Orkney.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I wish I could be cheeky and add JK Rowling to this list but I know that's cheating.

My actual favourite Scottish writer is probably Ian Rankin - always fun to spot the book locations around Edinburgh!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    Christopher Brookmyre is amazing, best writer of the Scottish rant going apart possibly from Irvine Welsh. However as a resident of the North East and given the popularity of Rankin on here, try Stuart MacBride if you get a chance.
  • GlenstriderGlenstrider Member ✭✭
    Loving all these suggestions - some familiar old friends and some new names I will definitely look up. As a fan of old-fashioned derring-do I love john buchan's 39 steps and although Maurice Welsh was Irish, "the key above the door" is set in remote Lochindorb in Moray. 
2»