Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Advice

I am planning to visit Edinburgh in late September but would like to take a few days to visit the Hebrides. I've looked and looked and I am just overwhelmed at the choices. I would really prefer not to drive. I don't like crowds and I like wildlife and wilderness but would not want to be too far out. Any suggestions?

Comments

• LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @CricketMe You can fly from Edinburgh to Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis. Or if you wanted a more scenic but longer route, it's easy enough to get a train/bus to Inverness and then the bus to Ullapool for the ferry crossing to Stornoway. Obviously that eats into your time so I guess it's a balance between budget and the time you have available. 

The ferry crossing between Ullapool and Stornoway is one of my favourites and the views on a clear day are very rewarding. The journey is good for sea-watching too and I've seen Minke Whales, Dolphins, Manx Shearwater, Gannets and loads more from the deck of the MV Loch Seaforth in recent years. 

Down side is that your beholden to public transport but it's not too bad with a bit of planning once you're on the island. There's a good breakdown of timetables here. 

If you want to feel like you're getting away from it all head up to Ness on Lewis. There are a few self-catering and b&b options in the area and a walk along Eoropie Beach is hard to beat. There are regular-ish buses to Ness so getting there shouldn't be too much of hassle.