Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Weather in August in Scotland

Hi,

I will be vacationing in Scotland in late August, specifically from 20/8/19 - 29/8/19. What clothing should I wear? Do I need an umbrella? Do I need rainboots? How often does it rain in Scotland in the summer? Does the temperature rise and fall unexpectedly and if so, what would be the best thing to do if this happens?

Answers

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    August can be a bit of a lucky dip. I would suggest coming prepared for all kinds of weather - and the easiest way to do this is to bring layers you can easily add and remove, including something waterproof. Rain boots might not be necessary - it all depends on what kinds of activities you're planning to do. If you're just walking around our cities and towns you should be fine with whatever footwear you normally wear on a walking day. 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • NicPeNicPe Member ✭✭
    Great thanks! I decided to visit in the summer because I don't want the hassle of wearing coats or extra layers like long-johns or thermals or extra socks or anything really that would restrict movement and take time to put on. Do light sweaters, jeans, lighter rain jackets, and sneakers work? I normally wear sneakers on walking days.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @NicPe, as @VisitScotlandAmanda mentioned layers are the best thing. So, tshirt, shirt, jumper, rain coat would be great (or a combination of). Last year we enjoyed a scorching summer with hardly any rain, if that happens again this year you will be fine.
    Just out of interest, where are you planning to go? 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • NicPeNicPe Member ✭✭
    Linlithgow Palace, Stirling Castle, Edinburgh Castle, Palace at Hollyrood, Dunbar Castle,  Loch Levin Castle, Battle of Langside and National Museum of Scotland. I'd also like to see the Military Tattoo if possible. Any suggestions on where I can go to find healthy, affordable food and drinks and a play or two?
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Fabulous itinerary. I would also suggest, as you are doing Linlithgow Palace and Stirling Castle, that you see Blackness Castle too. It's a quirky place with great views over the Firth of Forth. 

Loch Leven Castle is a fab wee trip across the loch. You will enjoy it.  
    If you are hoping to see the Military Tattoo then I would suggest you try and book tickets for that as soon as possible. It really is worth seeing (Wrap up warm for the evening because it does get cold sitting for several hours).

The Edinburgh Playhouse is a beautiful theatre and they host a variety of plays etc. August is when the Fringe Festival is on and everywhere will be busy. There will be performers on the streets and so many acts performing for free at various venues (also ticketed events).

I live near Perth and the the theatre here is really good. It will be much quieter than Edinburgh. 

Maybe @VisitScotlandAmanda can make suggestions of places to eat? 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi Nic! My personal recommendation for eating in Edinburgh during the festival is to visit one of the many food trucks and pop-ups that will be all around the city. You will find many in the main festival area at Underbelly but there's plenty dotted around other places too including the Pleasance courtyard and on top of the Waverley centre. There'll be lots of different food options from Thai food to burgers, tacos, falafel, etc and most meals will only cost you around £6. It's also a nice way to immerse yourself in the festival atmosphere!
    Instagram
  • NicPeNicPe Member ✭✭
    @VisitScotlandAmanda  Thanks Amanda! Do you have any suggestions on where to eat on days that the festivals are not taking place, specifically 26/8/19-29/8/19, for around the same price? thanks
    @NicPe The festival runs for the entire month of August :)

But happy to share some of my favourite places to eat in Edinburgh as well:

• El Cartel and The Basement for Mexican food
    • Loudon's and Urban Angel for brunch
    • Hendersons* / David Bann* / Paradise Palms* for vegetarian food
    • Ting Thai Caravan* for well priced Thai street food
    • Harajuku Kitchen for Japanese food (they might also have a pop up during the festival)
    • Bross Bagels for good bagels and coffee on the go
    • The Pakora Bar for delicious and affordable food on the go
    • Baba for sharing platters
    • Artisan Roast for good coffee
    • Hula cafe* and Pumpkin Brown* for fresh/light food, slices, juices
    Ones marked with * are very close to festival events, but all listed above are central city and walking distance from most places. Hope this helps! 
    Instagram