Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

7 day trip in July

Hello, we are making our first trip to Scotland in July.  I was wondering if anyone could give feedback on the very tentative itinerary we are working out? Also open to suggestions. We are a family of four with 2 teens (16 &18) who will have 7 days in Scotland. We will be flying in from visiting Ireland for The Open Championship and are considering flying from Belfast into Inverness (I really want to see some of the Highlands), we will rent a car so have also considered flying into Glasgow and driving up. 2 nights in Inverness area (possibly Nairn) then drive to St Andrews area for 3 days (this is a must for my husband and son who plan on signing up each morning to try and get to play The Old Course). Then drive to Edinburgh for our last couple of days flying back to the US from there. Some of our interests are to visit castles, abbeys, distilleries and of course golf for the guys.  Would appreciate any input as trying to plan everything is slightly overwhelming.
Tagged:

Answers

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @gmwiggins!

Nairn is a lovely location with views out to the North Sea. I recently stayed at the Golf View Hotel & Spa and it has nice spa facilities and a hot tub right by the beach as well - so would be worth considering!

From Nairn you could visit Urquhart Castle which is on Loch Ness and around a 1 hour drive.

St Andrews is a lovely place for a couple of nights stay! Aside from the golf course, they also have lovely restaurants, a nice beach, St Andrews Castle and St Andrews Cathedral. It's a lovely spot! 

In Edinburgh we have the Pickering's Gin and Edinburgh Gin Tours - both of which are great! As well as The Whisky Experience which gives you a good understanding of the history of whisky in Scotland, how it's made and how it differs around the country - as well as a chance to walk around the world's biggest privately owned collection of Scotch.

I'd suggest staying somewhere reasonably central in Edinburgh so you can get the most out of everything in your last few days. You might want to consider somewhere in our West End or Stockbridge.

Hope this helps! Sounds like you've got a fun trip planned :)

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram