Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Isle Of Bute

VisitScotlandAliVisitScotlandAli Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
The Isle of Bute is a great place to visit with loads to see and do. One of the most amazing places to go and visit is Mount Stuart House.

Comments

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I totally agree @VisitScotlandAli!  I was in awe Marble Hall at Mount Stuart when I visited. I loved the colours that emerged as the sun shone through the stained glass windows and crystal stars!  It was beautiful!

I will definitely need to visit again soon as I hear that visitors can now get a tour of the indoor swimming pool that's hidden in the house.
  • VisitScotlandJohnVisitScotlandJohn Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I have not been to Mount Stuart in years, but still remember how impressed I was by the Marble Hall, and amazed to discover that this is thought to be the first house in Scotland to have a telephone system.  Although I also remember being curious, as the only place in Scotland to have the phone, who exactly they were going to call?
  • MargaretMargaret Member ✭✭
    Not been to Bute for a long time - hoping to pop over in August for a day or two -  will definitely go back to Mount Stuart - it is a stunning building and offers fantastic tours,
  • Mount Stuart is one of my favourite places. I always harp on to people about how amazing a day trip is from the central belt. The gardens are absolutely gorgeous on a sunny day and the tours of the house are amazing (I've done it three times and you always learn something new!). My favourite part's the chapel - it's unbelievable. The food in the restaurant is delicious too :smile:
  • VisitScotlandAliVisitScotlandAli Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I have not been to Mount Stuart in years, but still remember how impressed I was by the Marble Hall, and amazed to discover that this is thought to be the first house in Scotland to have a telephone system.  Although I also remember being curious, as the only place in Scotland to have the phone, who exactly they were going to call?
    Good point I have never thought of that, it was the first for a few other things as well Mount Stuart House contains the world's first heated pool in any house, and was the first home in Scotland to be lit by electricity.
  • HazelMHazelM Member
    Margaret said:
    Not been to Bute for a long time - hoping to pop over in August for a day or two -  will definitely go back to Mount Stuart - it is a stunning building and offers fantastic tours,
    If you do manage over, pop into the Discovery Centre to say hi! There are new tours at Mount Stuart and you can now even sit on the furniture making it more accessible for all :smile:
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    Bute is one of my favourite places to go for a day long bike ride.  It's only about 20 miles from my house, so easy to just park the car in Colintraive and hop on the ferry.  

• MernMern Member
    It looks gorgeous! I'm coming back to Scotland after 25 years in OZ. What is living on Bute like? Pros and cons please