Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Day in Edinburgh

I'm going on a road trip through the highlands.  Will it be advisable to drive in the city (Edinburgh, Stirling, or Glasgow) for instance, or leave the car outside the city and walk around the city?

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Elmarie there are lots of park & rides outside the main cities of Edinburgh & Glasgow. It would be wise to use these as it can be a little stressy to drive through the cities. If you type "Edinburgh Park & Ride" in to Google you will find a list of possibilities. The same goes for all of the cities in Scotland. If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask!
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I always use the Park and Ride facilities @Elmarie. For a fraction of the cost for parking in one of the cities, the Park and Ride means less stress. 
    Parking at Ingliston (near Edinburgh airport) and then getting a tram straight into the centre is perfect and the price of your ticket includes parking all day (not over night). If you buy a Day Ticket from the machines, this also covers travelling on the bus too. 
    Although the Park and Ride in Stirling is not far from the city centre I would still advise using it and using the bus service provided. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Elmarie You could also park in one of the suburbs or the city centre and get the bus or tram in!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I'd definitely leave the car on the outskirts @Elmarie - towns like Linlithgow or even stations like South Gyle are ideal for Edinburgh. Stirling isn't too bad for driving but Glasgow's one-way system would be confusing for first-timers in the city centre. Better for the environment too of course....
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.