Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

The Dukes Pass

VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
Whilst driving to work yesterday, I couldn't help but stop and take this photograph of Loch Drunkie. It is one of many beautiful views that can be seen when driving over The Dukes Pass. I believe the Dukes Pass to be one of the most scenic driving routes in Scotland and is located in The Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park between Kilmahog and Aberfoyle. The Dukes Pass was built to accommodate the many Victorian Tourists to the area after the publication of Sir Walter Scott's poem 'The Lady of the Lake' which is all about Loch Katrine, another beauty spot which can be found along this route.

I should also add that the bluebells are out in all their glory.....but if I stopped to take photographs at every opportunity I would make myself late for work! 

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    To set the scene, here's a few lines from The Lady of the Lake by Sir Walter Scott, an epic poem published in 1810:

"Close in her covert cowered the doe,
    The falcon, from her cairn on high,
    Cast on the rout a wondering eye,
    Till far beyond her piercing ken
    The hurricane had swept the glen."
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Love this drive and have stopped here a time or two. Crazy how close it is to Glasgow as well - gorgeous area.
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    It's a beautiful area! Loch Drunkie can be a good spot to watch the Ospreys fishing as well ;-) 
    Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful area and drive. The 3 lochs drive off the Duke's Pass is also gorgeous and well worth a visit. 

Loch Katrine in snow earlier this year was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen and the views from Ben A'an are unrivalled. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.