Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Where can I go to learn more about my Scottish ancestors who lived in Kilfinan and Inveraray?

Duncan McKellar (born 1748 in Inveraray), Mary McKellar (born 1759 in Inveraray). 
Archibald McKellar (born 1776 in Inveraray), Mary McGregor (born 1778 in Kilmodan). Emigrated to the United States in 1838

Answers

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @Son_of_Scotland_53 try the national library in Edinburgh! Inveraray Library or nearest council offices!

Best regards
    fishypro
  • mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    edited April 8
    Hi,

The very useful Scotlands People Centre in Edinburgh is also a good place to visit too It is located in central Edinburgh with search rooms in General Register House and New Register House. Staff are on hand to offer help and advice.  You'll need to register on their website (which is also a great resource in its own right) and then book a visit. I have done this and found it very useful for researching my Macdonald family history.

We have written a page on tracing your Scottish family ancestry - you might find it useful too. Read it here: 
    https://must-see-scotland.com/scottish-ancestry-research

The independent online guide to Scotland, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation. must-see-scotland.com

• MarkRCasasMarkRCasas Member
    Did you manage to learn something about your ancestors who lived in Kilfinan and Inveraray? I recently learned that my ancestors also lived in Kilfinan . I am now looking for any information.
  • Mark, Thank you for your response. Archibald McKellar (born 12Jan1776 in Inveraray) and Mary McGregor (born 24Apr1780 in Balquhidder) were my wife's 3rd great grandparents. They married 27Apr1799 in Kilfinan and lived in Corracha (part of the Kilfinan Parish) where their children were born. Their son Daniel (born 12Jun1813) along with his cousin Colin McKellar immigrated to America in 1836. Two years later, his parents (Archibald and Mary) along with his brother Hugh (with his wife Mary McEwan and their son Archibald) also immigrated. (Hugh and Mary are my wife's 2nd great grandparents.) A few other family members came with them. I assume some of the family members stayed in Scotland. We are coming the Scotland and will be in the Kilfinan area April 29-May 2. We are hoping to piece together more of our family history while there. Is there any chance that we have common ancestors? I also have found some resources that have been very helpful to us. Give me a few details about your family so I will know if these resources might be helpful to you. Kent