Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Slow Tourism

Curious to get everyone's take on 'slow tourism'. Anyone familiar with concepts like slow tv where not a lot happens will know where this comes from (there are some great examples on Netflix - check out the Bergen to Oslo train journey) and the idea is that you sit and take it all in, rather than being hit with a deluge of noise and action. 

Slow tourism is something that I've been talking about for a while and for the most part people would look at me like I had two heads. However it's a concept that has slowly ( :smile: ) being gathering steam and places like the Highlands of Scotland are an ideal place for it. 

Skye Connect have launched 'SkyeTime' and with that in mind and they've taken the concept of slow tourism here to encourage people to just take their time and appreciate the surroundings.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/north-of-scotland/1692393/slow-tourism-bid-to-transform-skyes-economy/

It's something I'm trying to encourage as part of our new venture 'Loch Ness Living', where we're running workshops and walking tours that are aimed specifically at exploring small areas of the environment and taking time out to really enjoy it. We've recognised through hosting B&B guests that many people are on a mad charge around the country in an apparently desperate rush to 'do' as many sites as possible before going home. Some of the itineraries I've seen people give themselves are insane and I do worry that they don't actually get a chance to relax! We'd rather they'd pause for a while and take the time to explore and absorb their immediate surroundings. Personally I feel that you get a better appreciation for an area if you slow it down and get to know the environs and the people. There's the environmental impact to consider here too, encouraging people go slow would hopefully lessen the impact on some of our Honeypot areas - but that's possibly a whole other discussion!

So are you a 'slow and savour it' visitor or are you a 'do it all in a day' kind of person. Or can you even do both? I know many visitors come here for shorter visits, so do you prefer to travel as much as possible seeing as much as you can, or is it a case of finding one area and just enjoying that little microcosm of Scotland?
Tagged:

Comments