Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Gardens of Aberdeen

My friend and I will have two days in Aberdeen in June and are most interested in visiting the gardens. I'm having difficulty, however, in finding any kind of guide/tour that focuses on gardens...they all seem to be whiskey and castles. Those are good, but not what we're interested in. Does anyone have any information on a guide that would suit our needs?

Best Answer

Answers

• sshdough42sshdough42 Member
    Thanks so much for your feedback. Is Cruikshank Garden difficult to get to? Do you have any suggestions for "must see" places in Aberdeen? I found St. Macher's Cathedral and Gordon Highlanders Museum as possibilities if we have the time....are they worth a visit? Anything else?
  • Cruickshank Gardens are actually really easy to get to via bus from the city centre as it's part of the University of Aberdeen Zoology building. You could catch a first bus (number 1 or 2) over to the stop closest to St Machar Drive. If you ask the driver, they should tell you when to alight. Once over in that area you have not only the Cruickshank Gardens, but Seaton Park, Old Aberdeen, The Chanonry, St Machar Cathedral and the Aberdeen Uni campus which is worth a walk around too. It's also worth taking a trip down towards Footdee which is an old fishing village in the city and one of the most popular things for tourists to visit.

The Highlanders museum is at the other end of the city and is close to Johnston Gardens. The Highlanders website appears to say that the X17 or and 11 would be best to take you to the museum.

Most of the main tourist things to see are probably in Aberdeenshire rather than in the city itself. There are things like the Tolbooth Museum if that's something that interests you.
    Travel bloggers over at OurSoCalledLife and currently based in Aberdeen.