Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Driving Glencoe to Skye

what is the best route to go?  I am inexperienced driving on the wrong side of the road.  My worry about going through mallaig is having to know once advance what ferry we are taking.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Aryah this is the best route, you don't actually have to get a ferry!  Although it is 3 hours + drive.
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • VisitScotlandCarolVisitScotlandCarol Member, Moderator
    Hello @Aryah. I suggest you take the most direct route from Glencoe to Mallaig which is via the A82 and then the A830. This journey should take around 1 hr 30 mins but you may wish to allow extra time to stop and admire the scenery, take in the views of Ben Nevis, enjoy a walk along the beautiful beaches at Arisaig or Morar or visit the likes of Neptune's Staircase and  The Glenfinnan Monument. The Summer Ferry timetable begins on 29th March. By this time there will be 9 ferries per day from Mon-Sat but as they can be very busy, particularly in the Summer months. we would definitely recommend you book in advance.
  • DOCRESHMADOCRESHMA Member
    hi
    Im visiting Scotland with my daughter in June
    We will be using Public transport as I dont drive
    Inverness to Isle of Skye
    then Oban

what do you recommend?
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @DOCRESHMA and welcome.

Here are some options:

You can take a scenic train journey between Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh stations. From there you can get the CityLink bus - Inverness to Skye - over to Skye via the road bridge. Return to Inverness the same route and then take the CityLink Bus from Inverness to Fort William/Oban. The simplest option would be to make the whole journey by CityLink Bus and use the CityLink Explorer Pass to cover your separate ticket costs.

If you are feeling more adventurous and have time to plan it out, you could island hop your way to Oban. Start by taking  the CityLink Bus Inverness to Ullapool for a CalMac ferry over to Stornoway on Lewis, then get the local bus to Tarbert (Harris) for the CalMac return ferry over to Uig (Skye). Using Skye's local bus service to get between ferry ports, you can also get from Skye to Oban by taking a ferry from Armadale (Skye) to Mallaig. From Mallaig you can get the train to Fort William and then a CityLink Bus to Oban. You will have to make some overnight stops of course.

Make sure to check the possible routes you can take on Traveline Scotland and double check the details with the transport company as you may need to book ahead for the CityLink journeys.

See the discussion here for links to checking and booking public transport online.