Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Dog friendly hiking & culture trip - 10 days

Hello to all,

I'm planning a trip to Scotland from mid to end June.
Currently I'm living in Austria with my Border Collie dog. This means I will travel over land.
Thinking about a variety of possibilities:

* over land all the way (driving my own car)
* using the train (maybe partly a car-train, as this is offered quite well from Austria at least to Germany)
* combine car & train

Any ideas what would be best?

I'm looking for a bigger place (city or town) to start from (leaving my car there or getting there by train should be possible).
I would love to stay overnight in (not to expensive) places such as B&B or inns with nice pubs (food) along the trails.
Not important if it's daytrips or a more day trip staying along the way (don't want to use my tent this time).
Wht is important is the possibility to get back to where I started from by public transport (incl. my dog).

Any help would be possible!

Thanks in advance, Mela

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Servus @Mela,

My wife (Steiererin) & I used to live in Vienna and we have made the trip to Scotland by car many times.
    We first tried the Ferry from Holland to Newcastle (Overnight) which made a great connection but it was a horrible trip because the water was so rough! Edinburgh is only 1.5 hours drive from Newcastle.
    We have also tried Calais to Dover which is our favourite variation as the crossing only takes 45 minutes.
    Either way we stopped overnight by Schloss Rahe, Aachen which was a great place stop.
    We have also stopped at B&B Hotel, Erlangen which was really cheap €50.

If you need any further help just let me know
    Graeme

Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Mela, for dog related activities; you should speak to @Samantha_Grant
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.