Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Orkney

Hi I did a road trip to shetland last year and loved it and had some great advice from here ,so this year I am going to Orkney end of may.Does any one have any hints or tips for island hoping .
Thanks x

Comments

• LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Dee Orkney ferries is probably the best place to check on routes and timetables. Any time I head up there I usually take the Northlink ferry from Scrabster to Stromness which takes about 90 minutes, you get great views as it comes round past the Old Man of Hoy too. Another option in terms of getting there is the Pentland Ferries catamaran, it's the quickest route to the island and arguably the most scenic .
  • DeeDee Member
    Thanks for the info will look into the ferries and compare prices.And will prob find info on the island for inter island ferries,cant wait to get there now.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @Dee. Orkney really is beautiful. I have only ever sailed from Scrabster to Stromness with NorthLink Ferries. A crossing of ninety minutes and if you are lucky you could see dolphins and gannets. 

One of my favourite places to visit was the Brough of Birsay. A tidal island that you can cross over when the tide is out. There are the remains of Pictish and Norse settlements here too. If you walk up to the lighthouse you get great views of many of the sea birds nesting on the cliffs. Don't forget to check the times for the tides too. 

From the same car park at Birsay there is a footpath out to the whalebone. It has stood there since around 1876 after being beached. A nice walk. 

Orkney Brewery is well worth a visit (It's not far from Skara Brae). You can do a tour of the brewery or they also do amazing food. 

Deerness Distillery is also worth a visit. They make fantastic gin. 

I haven't done any island hopping so I can't really help you with that bit. If you have any questions whilst you are there, the VisitScotland iCentre team in Kirkwall are very helpful.  
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Hi @Dee, good choice!

Quite a few choices! Hoy is terrific for scenery and that walk to the Old Man. Westray a great option for some history and terrific coastlines. Sanday great for beaches. Here's some more of where I ended up between the islands last year:

Hope that helps narrow down some choices and have a great time!

Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.