Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Visting The Trossachs while driving from Edinburgh to Glencoe

Hi,

My wife an I will be visiting Scotland in September. After spending time in Edinburgh we plan to drive to Glencoe. My question is, should we drive north through The Trossachs on the A85 or via the A811 to the the A82 and up the shores of Loch Lomand? Would it be worth stopping for a night in The Trossachs and if so, where?

In case you are wondering, we plan to stop off in Stirling on our way back to Edinburgh.

Thanks!

John

Comments

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Good Morning John

Thank you for your question. Sounds like a good journey you have planned. Glencoe is a beautiful part of the country. If you are planning on stopping in Stirling on the way back and wish to see as much as possible, then I would head North on the A85 and come back via the A82. That way you aren't travelling the same route twice.

If you have the time to do it, you could also travel back from Glencoe down the Argyll Coastal Route on the A828 to Oban and either across the A85 back to the Trossachs and down the A82 beside Loch Lomond, or continue down the A816 onto the A83, taking in Inveraray and then into the National Park. If you were to take in the Argyll Coastal Route I would maybe suggest an overnight stay in Oban, that way you will be able to take more in without rushing back.

Hope that is of help to you to help with planning.

Kind Regards

Lindsay

• JohnMcJohnMc Member
    Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Cheers,

John