Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Glencoe in February lone traveller and dog

Hello!! In a few weeks I'm taking my dog to Glencoe for 4 nights, I've stayed in the hotel and area before but now want to do more walking. I am a lone female traveller and although we do a lot of walking, I am not savvy with a map and compass !! My dog is amazing in every way although he does not like other dogs (only when they run over). So obviously I need to plan walks that are safe but not really busy with dogs - we are up for walking all day and want views !! Online there's a million and one walks and I only have 4 days - any advice anyone ? Thanks !! 🐾

Comments

• Hi @Chays321, if you're after longer walks in winter but aren't too confident when it comes to navigation then I'd consider hiring a guide if your budget will stretch to it. West Coast Mountain Guides and the chaps at The Ice Factor over in Kinlochleven are all highly recommended and will get you introduced to the basics. 

Personally I wouldn't advise heading out to far on your own if you're not comfortable with a map and compass. February is still very much wintertime and it doesn't take much for the clag to set in or a whiteout to descend on you before you're thoroughly lost. Most paths aren't waymarked and quickly disappear if it snows. That said February can have beautifully clear and still blue sky days so it's not all bad! If you do go for a guide and get one of those crisp, clear days then you'd be in for a treat. Sadly I suspect the dug would have to stay behind though. 

Walk Highlands has a good selection of walks in the area but of course many of them head up into higher ground so it's worth bearing that in mind before setting out if the weather is looking iffy or if there's snow on the ground.  https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/glencoe.shtml 

There's some great walks around Fort William and the walk along the canal path from Corpach up to Neptune's Staircase at Banavie (and beyond) gives you great views over towards Ben Nevis - it has the benefit of being very dog friendly too. Steall Falls up Glen Nevis is another good one although if memory serves rightly the path can be a little dodgy as the glen narrows, I seem to recall there being a few big drops! 

That time of year should be relatively quiet still but there's always dog-walkers about so I couldn't make any guarantees of pooch-free paths :)

• SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Glencoe Lochan is a lovely walk. You can also walk all the way through Glencoe (6 miles) on an off road path. Or why not walk from Glencoe to Kinlochleven on the West Highland Way? They all have paths -  no need for a map and compass. 

Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• A note of caution in regards to the Glen Coe to Kinloch section of the WHW. The high point of that is 550m and is on some pretty exposed ground. Good path or not, that's going to be problematic and disappear if it snows or the weather closes in, you still need to have reasonable nav skills to hand 'just in case'.  I don't think anyone should be saying there's no need for a map and compass on a route like this. Better to carry one and not need it...

There's a good webcam here that I found that gives a good view of conditions and an idea of what to expect on a typical winter day in February. 
  • Chays321Chays321 Member
    Hi  @LochNessPhotography thanks so much for your info. I definitely won't be taking any risks (my dog is a staffy so although he is quite hardy, he won't appreciate the cold massively!!) . I've contacted some of the group's you recommended and will look into those walks too - thanks so much. 4 days isn't long enough but hopefully I will have enough planned to see a bit !! Thanks for all the safety tips. I imagine it won't be too busy at that time so hopefully any doggos coming we will see them !!! The webcam is awesome I'll defo be using that when I'm there! Thank you, Can't wait ! 
  • Chays321Chays321 Member
    @Smidge I will be looking into those ideas too - so many walks so little time !! Thanks you !!