Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Sheffield to Inverness

We are driving from Sheffield to Inverness in June. 
Can you please recommend somewhere to stay on the way there  and on the way back. Don't want to go too far off track as it's a 7.5 hour journey and we'll have a three year old with us. 
Want to drive 3.5 - 4 hours before we stop. 
Thanks in advance 

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend a stop at Wanlockhead (Scotland's highest village based in the Borders) on the way up and Stirling or Falkirk on the way back. Not precisely midway but very pretty in their own right. And a long daytime stop at Stirling / Falkirk allows you to enjoy the local attractons (the castle / Wallace monument / Kelpies). Lake District (though not in Scotland) is another stopover option IMO. Hope this helps.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• How about Edinburgh? It's 3 hours from Inverness so you're about halfway if you go via the A1. You'll be spoiled for choice for things to do and it's a great city to explore. 

If you're coming over Scotch Corner and up via the M74 you've got places like New Lanark reasonably close to hand. Glasgow could also be an option (again three-ish hours from Inverness) if you want a city stop. Kelvingrove Museum is excellent and very child friendly.
  • VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Hi @Beckyp101

Travelling from Sheffield 3.5-4hrs takes you just into the Scottish Borders or Dumfries and Galloway, depending which route you take. Its another hour to get you to Edinburgh from the Borders.

From the Central Borders or Dumfries to Inverness it is about 4 hours going via the A9, with many places to stop on the way to break up the journey.

If you were coming via the Scottish Borders, Jedburgh is the 1st town you come to with an Information centre that you would be able to pick up brochures for the Inverness area. You would be able to do the same in Dumfries as well.