Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Winter Travel in Scotland

travelswithakilttravelswithakilt ✭✭VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
One of the questions that come my way more than most is what time of year is best to come to Scotland. While us locals would likely all converge on spring, early summer and autumn as the best of it weather-wise, poor old winter often gets shunned. But maybe we shouldn't be quite so hasty.

I'm just back from the Isle of Mull having done something I'm programmed not to do - last-minute, chaotically un-planned travel. Dropping it all, jumping in the car and heading to the west coast was a revelation as I just winged it. The result was spectacular as desolate landscapes screamed attitude, old ruins gave out the sad dog eyes and local wildlife stared back at me with bemused 'are you mental, pal?' curiosity. Having hikes and coastal trails to yourself without seeing another human all day is one of those great gifts of nature and every fan of the outdoors needs to give this a try. Good for the soul, and easy on the eye too I hope you'll agree.....

Winter Travel

The things to be ready for:
  • Many rural attractions are closed for winter. Not all, but most. So check ahead and be prepared.
  • Extreme weather may come your way in which case there could be road closures and ferry cancellations. This is rare and you'd have to be unlucky but do have a plan B, especially when ferries are involved. So far this winter there's only been a handful of days when this has applied.
  • The days are short. It's dark by 4.30pm-ish so it's about making the most of the light that you have and spending time outdoors when you can.

The benefits:
  • You'll have vast and spectacular parts of the country pretty much to yourself, the only time when this is possible. Even Skye is fairly quiet!
  • You don't need to book accommodation months in advance. I literally booked into an excellent self-catering lodge at 11am for a 3pm check in on Mull, one of the most popular of Scotland's isles. Winter is ideal for spontaneous travel, so check the forecast a few days before and, if it's looking decent or better, start booking.
  • Although many restaurants in the rural areas may close for the season, self-catering is a super-flexible option and, should the weather turn on you, you'll be in a home-from-home setting anyway. Bring a bottle of single malt and you'll be grand.
  • The light in winter can be absolutely breathtaking and favoured by photographers.
  • Single track roads are significantly less annoying when there's no-one else on them.
  • Some islands are much easier to get to in winter than others. For first timers, I'd nudge you towards the likes of Arran, Bute, Mull and Skye which involve short ferry crossings with regular ferries. Skye has the added advantage of being able to drive on over the bridge but is a long way if coming in and out of Central Scotland.
  • Many people come here in search of the misty glens, sulking lochs and contemplative, snow-topped mountains. Never is that atmosphere more tangible than in winter! This is raw Scotland at its best.

You can read more about my Mull visit this month here and I hope I'll not be alone in embracing winter adventures in Scotland!

Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda ✪ Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    11am for a 3pm check in is last minute indeed! Glad it worked out so well for you @travelswithakilt ; - agreed there are definite benefits to making the most of the winter months too! I was recently in the Loch Lomond area and enjoyed the crispy weather and stunning colours at this time of year. 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram