Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Best route

Good evening

i am Ally, new to the community . I am planning a trip to tour Scotland with my wife in June. West to east, first time

we will Start in Gourock, where my mum lives, then thinking of Oban , Skye, Inverness/ lochness, St Andrew finally Edinburgh. Approx 2 weeks. Travelling by car. Then home to West Yorkshire

any advice, places to stay ,what to visit best route, would be fanrastic

Thank you

Ally

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Ally,

Your trip sounds great.
    Don't forget the small highland town of Pitlochry for 2 or 3 nights, it is very central and there are loads of things to see & do.
    It has distilleries, Castles, Lochs, great shops, fishing, golf course, restaurants, cafes, bars, walking & cycling paths and the area is used for filming (Outlander) so we get lots of photographers & artists etc.
    Check it out and have fun planning.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi Ally and welcome to the community! :)

Your trip sounds pretty amazing and you will be travelling through some of the most amazing scenery in Scotland so I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.  There are so many different routes to take and I'm sure you will get lots of different suggestions from the community which will help you plan your visit. This is my suggestion of places not to miss along the way! :)

Newark Castle - although quite close to the start of your journey, Newark Castle in Port Glasgow has some fantastic and rare examples of Renaissance architecture and really amazing views over the Clyde.

Loch Lomond   - I might be biased as I work here but I have to admit it is one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland with mountain landscapes and lochside views.  Be sure to visit Balloch and Luss and if you continue along the north end of check out the unusual wooden viewpoint at Inveruglas and the  Falls of Falloch.                     

The Road to the Isles - From Fort William to Mallaig, this road passes through Glenfinnan where the scenery is spectacular.  With mountain scenery, white sandy beaches and the famous viaduct, this route is definitely one of my favorites in Scotland.

Chanory Point - Located on the Black Isle, just north of Inverness, Chanory Point is great place to watch dolphins in the Moray Firth.

• SnortzieSnortzie Member
    Thank you- been a great help -Ally
  • VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Good Afternoon Ally

Your trip sounds wonderful and you are definitely going to see some great parts of Scotland.

If you are visiting St Andrews, you may wish to stop off in Dundee. We have the brand new V&A, which only opened in September. Right next door we have RRS Discovery, Captain Scott's ship that was built in Dundee in 1901 and took him to the Antarctic on his 1st voyage. We also have the Verdant Works which is one of Dundee's old Jute Mills, which tells you the whole story of the industry in the city and about our links with India.

Travelling back from Edinburgh you could also visit the Scottish Borders. There are 4 magnificent Abbey ruins in Kelso, Melrose, Dryburgh & Jedburgh, Sir Walter Scott's house, Abbotsford and Scott's View, which is where some of his inspiration came from. There is also Floors Castle in Kelso, Mary Queen of Scots house in Jedburgh and Traquair House, Scotland's oldest inhabited house.

Definitely lots to see and do along the way