Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Popular types of food in Scotland

Hungry? You’re in the right place, because Scotland’s food is amazing.

Fresh seafood, spring lamb, Aberdeen Angus beef and, of course, haggis. 

If you've got a sweet tooth, why not try out tablet or shortbread? 

What’s your favourite taste of Scotland?

Tagged:

Comments

• travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    All of the above for me Amy but will throw in a good curry too - for it's an adopted national dish. Mother India in Glasgow (and Edinburgh) is amongst the best for me.
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • Not quite in season yet but Scottish Strawberries are pretty good! Picking your own makes them taste even better  :)
  • I've heard good things about Mother India @travelswithakilt

Scottish strawberries are great! Raspberries too :) 
  • VisitScotlandJohnVisitScotlandJohn Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited June 2016
    In the VisitScotland information centre at Edinburgh they have been promoting, throughout 2016, the best of Scottish cuisine using a Scottish food that is in season at the time. So far this year we have had as food of the month - celeriac (March), rhubarb (April), plaice (May), wild garlic (May), and tension is mounting at what the June food of the month might be with tomatoes, strawberries or scallops the current favourites with the bookies.  
    However, with 6 more months to be decided any suggestions for July to August would be gratefully received.  With the one proviso that they they must be in season at the time, and obviously something that they actually want to eat!.  
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Stovies!
  • VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandJohn Check out our Scottish recipes eBook - it's got a few suggestions for seasonal produce including sugar snap peas and plums in July and squid and Scottish lamb in August.
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I do love Stornoway black pudding........especially on a roll....with a fried egg!
  • eliseandlifeeliseandlife VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Fish and chips!  I know they exist all over the country but the bests ones I've eaten have all been Scottish ;)
  • MargaretMargaret Member ✭✭
    Had the best smoked salmon in a long time from the local butcher in the village of Strath, Gairloch - their rib-eye steaks were pretty awesome as well <3
  • MichèleMichèle Member
    Ok, tell me! Haggis... 
    Everybody I know is digusted by haggis. Is it really that awfull? 
  • eliseandlifeeliseandlife VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Personally, I'm not a fan, but I also don't think it's as gross as it looks! Just about everyone I know likes it though ;)
  • OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    @Michèle you must try it when in Scotland have it with a Scottish Whisky or a tin of Irn-bru  :) <3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    [Deleted Content]
  • MichèleMichèle Member
    @Samantha_Grant
    After googling black pudding I know what this is!! :smiley: we know this as 'bloedworst' litteraly translated as 'blood sausage'. 
    One of my favorite dishes in winter. With apple sauce and whole weat bread. 
    I'm curious about the cheddar and the arran ice cream though... when I get the chance I'll try it :wink:

@VisitScotlandElaine: I ran into the add of Irn-bru a few weeks ago. First thing I'll try at the airport :blush:
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    You have to try an Aberdeen rowie or buttery from a bakers shop when in Aberdeenshire!  I love them!! They are a bit like a flat croissant but with a bit more salt in them! 
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Michèle said:

One of my favorite dishes in winter. With apple sauce and whole weat bread. 

I've never tried it with apple sauce. I'll need to try that the next time I've got some of Charley Barley's black pudding in the house. For me it's usually a liberal slice of black pudding with an equally liberal dose of brown sauce (anyone even contemplating tomato ketchup needs to come see me so I can educate them properly!) in a large morning roll. Usually washed down with a mug of peppermint tea to stave off the inevitable indigestion I get from over-indulging!
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • AndyCAndyC Member
    Michèle said:
    Ok, tell me! Haggis... 
    No Michèle it's worse - it's offal
  • HayleyforsonHayleyforson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I absolutely love Scottish seafood, particularly smoked salmon! I went to Oban recently and was searching out the best seafood restaurant. Oban Seafood Hut was listed as #1 of 64 restaurants (generally) in Oban on TripAdvisor and when we got there, it literally was a hut on the pier! We had crab sandwiches, which were so fresh and delicious!! Can see why it is rated so highly  :)
  • VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited June 2016
    AndyC said:
    Michèle said:
    Ok, tell me! Haggis... 

Ha! ;) If you're a little disconcerted by the prospect of traditional haggis, try the veggie version instead. It substitutes lentils, beans and nuts for the meaty bits and will give you a good idea of the flavour. Yum!

Also, there's a staple of many a Scottish wedding called "Balmoral chicken" (this was served at all three of the weddings I went to one year!). It's chicken breast stuffed with haggis, wrapped in pancetta and served with a whisky sauce and root veg. Well worth a try.

• bcedinburghbcedinburgh Member ✭✭
    Any of our wonderful seafood   - and I love vegetarian haggis!
  • JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭
    I do love Stornoway black pudding........especially on a roll....with a fried egg!
    I would have to agree... but I'm maybe bias because I'm from Stornoway!  :)
    http://
    AndyC said:
    Michèle said:
    Ok, tell me! Haggis... 

Ha! ;) If you're a little disconcerted by the prospect of traditional haggis, try the veggie version instead. It substitutes lentils, beans and nuts for the meaty bits and will give you a good idea of the flavour. Yum!

Ugh. Veggie Haggis. That's like having decaf coffee or sugar free coke! :smile: 

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the ultimate in Scottish Cuisine, a delicacy so far unsurpassed by any nation on earth for its quality of texture, sumptuous fragrance and tenderness of the meat. Michelin starred chefs have sung it's praises whilst the journey to the plate is one fraught with danger. The tales of derring do by the Niseachs who venture forth to Sula-sgeir to harvest this particular morsel will be told for generations to come while epic songs have been penned in their honour and the Gods themselves bow down before the bravery of these mighty souls. I give you.... The Guga. 
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I love veggie haggis more than real haggis. I can practically hear everyone groaning now  :/
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    An Arbroath smokie is the ultimate fish experience.  I am acutally not that keen on fish but I love a smokie, best eaten hot off the barrel with some butter melted into it! Absolutely heavenly. 
  • ShetlandRachelShetlandRachel Member ✭✭
    Clootie dumpling is one of my dad's favourites either as it comes, fried in a bit of butter or with some custard for a comforting pudding. He says nothing beats Bruce Brymer's clootie dumpling from Brechin. 
    I love veggie haggis more than real haggis. I can practically hear everyone groaning now  :/
    OUT! Go on. <<points to the door>>

Honestly. Some people. Veggie Haggis indeed. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • ShetlandSophShetlandSoph Member ✭✭
    One of my ultimate favourites from Shetland is Tattie Soup and Bannocks, they are absolutely delicious and always served at local events! Being a student from Edinburgh, I have also tried some local food including the famous Edinburgh Chippy sauce and chips, not to be missed! 
  • WinnieWinnie Member ✭✭
    I totally agree with @VisitScotlandLyndsay about Stornoway black pudding. Charley Barley's is incredible especially combined with fresh Scottish scallops - yum! Another favourite Scottish delicacy is the simple oatcake - Adamson's of Pittenweem in Fife are just outstanding! 
  • ZubenelgenubiZubenelgenubi Member ✭✭
    has to be smoked salmon. By the bucket. Or Black Crowdie cheese... http://www.internationalcheese.co.uk/products/gruth-dhu#.V34TM5MrK3I

Or both... on a cracker. 
    Awaiting arrival of witty signature.