Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

My Scotland Bucket List for 2019!

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited 10:02AM in General Discussion
With 2019 freshly underway, I thought it would be a good time to start thinking about where I'd like to go next year and what items are on my bucket list! 

1. Go on a road trip to Mull!

Top of my bucket list has to be Mull - the second largest island of the Inner Hebrides and home to many wildlife including whales, dolphins and sea eagles. Mull is easily accessible from Edinburgh by driving through to Oban (3ish hours) and then catching the ferry across. I'd like to pack my hiking boots and a camera and go here for a long weekend of exploring the beautiful scenery and ruins.  

2. Ride the Jacobite Steam Train and live my Harry Potter fantasies

Considering how much Harry Potter was a big part of my life growing up, it's amazing I've never made it to the Glenfinnan Viaduct, but I'm going to make it happen in 2019. The journey takes you from Fort William to Mallaig return and runs from mid April until the end of September. 

3. Visit the new V&A museum in Dundee

Now that the V&A is open in Dundee, I'd like to take a day trip from Edinburgh and visit it for myself. I'm excited to appreciate the amazing architecture in real life, as well as check out the exhibitions and the city of Dundee itself. With it being only a 90 min train ride from Edinburgh I've really got no excuse! 

Those are my three main things I'd like to tick off in 2019! 

What's on your list? If you've got some exciting travel plans lined up let me know!
Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram

Comments

• JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭

Ticking off more castles and stately homes! I've currently highlighted 3 I'd like to visit in 2019 but you can never have enough so any recommendations would be much appreciated :)

1. Paxton House, Scottish Borders

2. Drumlanrig Castle & Country Estate, Dumfries & Galloway

3. My clan castle, Dunvegan Castle <3

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Great bucket list Amanda.  I love Mull and cannot recommend a trip on The Jacobite more highly.  The V&A is on my list too as I was gutted to miss the press launch earlier this year.  

When you tick off The Jacobite be sure to share your Harry Potter fancy dress photos with us. :D  

It’s a hard one, but my Scotland bucket list for 2019 will definitely involve scouting out the little corners of Scotland you rarely hear about.  I’ve been lucky in that I’ve explored Scotland extensively over the years, but now that I’m revisiting  places, I’m digging deeper and looking for new sights to see.  2018 has been incredible, so I can’t wait for 2019 to get going.  

I’d love more dramatic sunsets, more quirky camping experiences and definitely more fascinating historic sites to visit.

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• I'm hopefully going to be busy this summer as we build our own fledgling business which will mean I'll have my feet firmly planted around Loch Ness! However if I do manage to sneak away I'd like to head to South and explore the Borders. I'm down in Edinburgh enough as it is so I've really got no excuse to use the Borders Railway for at least a quick visit. Campbeltown, Islay and Arran are places I've never been to either and I'd love to get out there at some point. 

Fair Isle is another place I'd love to visit. If only for a few days properly getting away from it all and doing a spot of birdwatching.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Oooooo great thread. 

Mull is one of my favourite places and we have seen some of the most spectacular displays of the aurora borealis whilst there too. 

I think I would put re-visiting Shetland on my 2019 list. My last visit was in the darkest depths of January for Up Helly Aa and so I would like to visit in summer. 

We would also love to do explore Barra, North and South Uist too. 
    And finally try and find some cool, small festivals. 

If any of that happens, I will be happy as a wee white dug on a beach. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Love this thread and great to see everyone’s hopes for 2019! 

2018 has seen me make it back to my favourite island Harris, a yearly tradition I hope to continue next year, along with some visits to Barra, Islay and Jura and hopefully Eigg! Mull, as a few of you have said is a beautiful island and I hope to make it back there also in 2019! 

Luskentyre, Harris

I have been lucky enough this year to tick off a lot of the Trad festivals I wanted to visit,  but I have still a couple left so will be hoping to get to them next festival season.. Tiree Music Festival being the main one I hope to attend! 

From HebCelt this year

2019, for me, will hopefully be a year of encounters with wildlife! Ever since I was a young lad, I have dreamt of seeing Killer whales in the wild and hopefully this will come to fruition next year.. I have seen that Shetland is a great place to see them, have you had an encounter with in Scotland? 

As as I work outside everyday, during the summer I am lucky to see Ospreys on a daily basis... although, I have yet to see one successfully catch a fish! I climb to their nests with work each year, have handled juveniles and put identification tags on them.. but getting a photograph of them successfully hunting still eludes me! I am planning a trip to Aviemore to see this but wondered if you have suggestions on where might be best? 

My closest encounter so far with an Osprey 

Lastly, I am hoping to get back to the mountains after a year long back injury.. I have many mountains I have yet to summit in Scotland and can’t wait to catch as many sunrise as I can from their summits next year! Have you got a favourite mountain to climb? 

Sunrise from Stac Pollaidh

Looking forward to reading what you have planned to tick off from your bucket list in 2019! 
    Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Some excellent inspiration Amanda! Definitely with you for Mull in particular, an imminent return there is a must for me and its an island that could consume several days of even the most frenetic traveller's time easily.

2019 for me is sure to include an annual pilgrimage to the Outer Hebrides, the jewelled chain of islands that will always hold a special place in my heart. The beaches of North Uist and the peaks of South Uist featured heavily for me this year but there are still many corners of Lewis that need further scrutiny. And then there's Harris.....

Southern Scotland will continue to get plenty of my attention too and I'll be working my way past the ruins, hills and valleys of Dumfries and Galloway and The Borders in the near future. I've never yet managed to summit Merrick in Galloway Forest Park. Time to insert a thinking man emoji as I plot that one out...

Speaking of scaling peaks, if my 2018 was the year of Suilven, Buachaille Etive Mor and the Pap of Glencoe, 2019 seems certain to include more of the north west but also some tentative steps into the Cairngorms and our more remote island summits. Much pouring over maps and hiking journals has already been pencilled in.

I can't wait to get cracking on all of the above and am absolutely, positively, overwhelmingly certain that Scotland will continue to be the land that keeps on giving for locals and international travellers alike. See you all in 2019!
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Lovely thread @VisitScotlandAmanda In the very short term, I'm going to check off seeing a bit of the Highlands with its snow cap on, something I haven't done at all. My 2019 bucket list is more experiential unless I can finally manage to get my driving license

1. Feis Ile 2019

The Islay festival has been a long time bucketlist item for me and 2019 should be the year I make it happen. It is a week long festival with events galore at the Islay distilleries (with a number of them having open days and exclusive bottlings). But more than the whisky events, I am looking forward to seeing the island come together to celebrate as I had an absolute blast mingling with locals on my own trip to Islay. I'll also spend a bit more time on Jura, if possible and see Campbeltown along the way.

2. See the Northern Lights in Orkney

Although I have been a long time proponent of encouraging folk to see the winter night sky from Scotland, at the very top of my bucketlist remains the elusive dancing fairies ie Northern Lights which are visible a number of times in the winter from Orkney (shot below taken in the last couple of weeks) and Shetland. A tied second is making my way up to Shetland for the Up Helly Aa Festival as someone who has been long fascinated with Norse mythology.

Picture credit for the shot above goes to David Wishart on the Orkney Aurora Facebook Group

3. Drive around the NC 500

This is my official stopping point for being more than a public transport blogger as NC 500 has been desperately out of reach for me due to a very sparse network of buses that service the area. The Bealach Na Ba to Applecross might be a stretch to navigate but having seen just a few bits of Torridon, Shieldaig and Ullapool in prior trips has left me hungry for more.

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• KatieMacCorKatieMacCor Member ✭✭

Everyone has got such great ideas! 

In 2019 I want to make more of an effort to see the amazing places I get to learn about in my day job. For me and my partner next year is going to be focused on saving up the pennies, so weekend breaks around Scotland are going to be perfect for when we're craving a holiday! :D 

Some places I am keen to explore are St Andrews to see Scotland's Secret Bunker, Kilchurn Castle in Argyll. In March i am planning to stay a night in Culross (Fife) as it's such a pretty looking town that i have never had a chance to take a wander round before, but no excuses in 2019!

And DEFINITELY Caerlaverock Castle in Dumfries as I’ve been saving photos of this castle from Instagram for months and need to see it for myself!! <3

Apart from that i plan on attending more of the festivals that are on in and around Edinburgh, apart from a few fringe shows this isn't something I've taken advantage of before (i don't really know why either!), but i'm keen take my little cousins to the International Science Festival and check out Foodies Festival with some friends :)

• DouglasWDouglasW Member
    Hello Amanda I have driven all over Mull and seakayaked round it several times. I have no recall of seeing that wonderful lighthouse on the headland in any of those trips. To me it and the rocks in the foreground look very much like the Mull of Galloway which I have also driven to and paddled below on many occasions. This is also another great destination to add to anyone’s bucket list. Best wishes, Douglas  :)
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @DouglasW well spotted!!! Have updated now :) 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • This thread is full of inspiration. I've recently relocated from Germany to Scotland and am really excited to get out exploring. On the list so far for next year is a visit to the Kelpies, a trip to the V&A in Dundee and a road trip up to the Highlands. I'd also love to plan some sort of island hoping adventure but need to do a bit more research on that- so many places to be and things to see. 
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Ahhhh brilliant news @Thingshelenloves. 2019 is shaping up nicely for you. Enjoy your travels. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • heacosheacos Member
    We are hoping to make our first visit to Scotland in 2019.  We only have 1 week and want to use it wisely.  We will likely spend start with Edinburgh for 2 days, including the Edinburgh Tattoo and some walking tours and then hit the road.  We'd love to spend a night in a castle, see Mull, maybe Islay.  Would love your suggestions for how to use our time well.  Best, Steve 
  • My biggest goal is finally getting to Scotland! I'll be spending most of June there. I'm still working out the details, but I do have some musts:
    Tour a castle which is still intact
     Tour ruins
     Visit standing stones
    Eat as much delicious foods as I can
    Witness some highland games
    Hiking and taking beautiful pictures. 

I'm sure I'll add to this list, but this is what I have so far!