Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

scotland leaving E.U

Hi I'm planning to come to Scotland in April 2019. How about Scotland leaving the E.U? Is anything going to change? And about the internet?Thanks
Sonya 

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Maltija, you'll be pleased to know there should be no impact on your travel plans to Scotland and you're welcome here as always! I'm not sure what your question is regarding the internet but you should be able to use your roaming data or connect to Wifi at your accommodation and various hot spots in public spaces. Hope this helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything else for you :) 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • MaltijaMaltija Member
    But roaming will not be free anymore.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I think you'll need to check directly with your provider to see what their plans are for roaming in the UK after March :) However you should know that we have plenty of public free wifi hotspots and most cafes and pubs will have wifi available as well which might be useful for you.
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭

Good question and it's a very uncertain time for all! At the moment the outcomes are either that there will be an extension to the leaving date to allow for further negotiations, another referendum will be held (potentially even reversing the decision to leave) or that the UK will leave without a deal. Brexit should affect short term travellers very minimally during the transition period and it will still be entirely possible to come easily until 2020, and without any form of visa. Longer term (from 2021) there is expected to be something called a ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) document that visitors will need to fill out, which will be a less complicated form of visa and similar to a US ESTA document. This is also likely to require paying a small fee, 7EUR has been mentioned. More on that here.

For roaming, the companies will not be required to comply with the previous free roaming within the EU arrangement, but some may choose to do so regardless. Definitely best to check directly with your provider.

Hope that helps and have a great time in Scotland, you'll be very welcome!

Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • fidodidofidodido Member
    Please let us know about any roaming updates, it's very helpful for tourists from the E.U
  • McLeodMcLeod Member
    Just the information I was looking for as my husband and I will be arriving to Scotland in late April for three weeks. This will be our second visit and we’re super excited! My husband’s grandfather came from Loch Carron and we are The McLeods from Northern California. 😄