Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

what to do and see

I am bringing my family to Scotland for 3 weeks  one is that a adequate  time to see the country an what are the most do and things to see to truly get a feel for the country 

Answers

• Three weeks should be plenty of time to get a good feel for the place. 

If I were you for week one I would base myself somewhere central like Glasgow and Edinburgh, this would give you time to explore the cities with the option of checking out the Borders and places like Stirling Castle. Public transport is excellent in the central belt so you can to most places by bus or train which should take the stress away if you planned on hiring a car. 

Week two I would spend exploring the mainland Highlands (Inverness, Glen Coe, Glen Affric, Loch Ness, Fort William etc). Or you could spend that week checking out the North Coast 500 route. Either one will give you a good flavour of the country, the NC500 possibly gives you the advantage of seeing some of the most impressive contrasts in landscapes from big mountains to vast moorland up in Caithness. 

For your third week I'd recommend checking out the Islands, either Orkney and Shetland or Skye and the Hebrides. 

That's potentially cramming everything in though and really depends on whether you want to spend a lot of time moving around and exploring. You could just as easily base yourself somewhere on the North West Coast and have three weeks of peace and relative solitude. :)

Your only real limit is budget and whether you'd be hiring a car. I'd strongly recommend getting accommodation sorted out as soon as poss, or alternatively hire a camper van which will give you a little bit more flexibility in terms of overnight options. Likewise if you do any ferry journeys get those booked as soon as you can. 
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Excellent advice @LochNessPhotography!

My questions for you @wchambless is what time of year you'd be coming here and what your family is interested in? As this will effect the types of activities you'll be able to do and how far in advance you'll need to book accommodation etc.
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram