Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Off The Beaten Track in Scotland?

mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
edited November 23 in Touring and Road Trips

Off The Beaten Track in Scotland?

I thought I should do a page on off the beaten track places in Scotland. Then I realised that what I consider to be off the beaten track might not be the same as your view. I mean, where I live in Scotland (Portgordon on the Moray Firth - see pic below) is, to me, pretty much the centre of the known universe, but to you might be the middle of nowhere.  You see, it all comes down to perspective. On the one hand, most of Scotland could be considered off the beaten track - except for those heavily promoted areas - for example, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Inverness and Loch Ness, and the Isle of Skye.....
Read more here about the Angus Glens, Galloway, Moray, Buchan and  Ardnamurchan.
Read more here about the smaller cities of Scotland

The countryside, especially the coast east of Inverness, by way of Moray and Aberdeenshire, can be quiet enough so that visitors are allocated a beach each on an individual basis. My friend here was lucky to get a last-minute cancellation, though he did find the big stones a bit uncomfortable.

The independent online guide to Scotland, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation. must-see-scotland.com

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @mustseescotland what a great blog post, thanks for sharing! I'm glad you brought up Galloway as I also think it can get overlooked, but I have the loveliest time when I'm there. This year we went on an Alpaca Trek which was fantastic, and I enjoyed driving around the roads surrounded by farm land and seeing deer and squirrels etc. 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram