Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Outlaw King!

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Netlix's new blockbuster movie Outlaw King has been a total sensation since release.  It tells the story of Robert the Bruce (Chris Pine) and his fight against the English army.  VisitScotland love it so much, that we've launched a map of film locations and the real locations where it all took place!

Have a wee look at the map here.

Scone Palace — Perthshire

Scone Palace is where the Scottish Kings were crowned upon the stone of destiny.  Charles II coronation was the last on the stone.  It now resides in Edinburgh Castle.

Bannockburn — Stirlingshire

The famous Battle of Bannockburn happened here.  It was one of the most decisive clashes in the First War of Scottish Independence.  It was her that, though heavily outnumbered, Robert the Bruce's army sent King Edwards Army homewards, tae think again.

Have you been to any of the locations in Outlaw King?  Or visited any of the real sites?  @travelswithakilt and @the_castlehunter on Instagram both shared with us their Instagram stories.  go check out their content and don't forget to hashtag #RealOutlawKing and #ReelOutlawKing.
Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.

Comments

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Loved this @VisitScotlandLiam ! Well done VS and also the map is great. 

#Dunfermline certainly is a special and poignant when you approach the resting place of The Bruce. 

My fave view of the abbey is from Pittencreiff Park...and in autumn! 

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @johnmurrayjnr I'm glad you liked it!  Most definitely, Dunfermline Abbey is a real sight to behold.
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • I meant to watch it over the weekend but didn't find the time in the end. I lived in Stirling for a few years and my mum lives a stones throw away from Bannockburn Battleground. So close in fact, that I could take a picture of the battlefield without leaving her garden - granted I had to use the drone to do it but it still counts :smile:

The Stone of Destiny (Stone of Scone) has an interesting history and was even stolen by a group of Glasgow Uni students from Westminster Abbey back in 1950. They eventually left it in Arbroath Abbey before it was recovered and taken back down to Westminster. One of the protagonists, Ian Hamilton, eventually became a QC! The Stone is also referred to as the 'Scone of Stone' in Terry Pratchett's discworld series. :smiley:

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I loved the movie! Was also great spotting the loch at Linlithgow Palace as I'd been there only a month or two beforehand!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited November 23
    @VisitScotlandLiam I loved it too <3 . I thought it was fast paced though and the relationship between Robert the Bruce and Elizabeth a little rushed. I was too busy trying to spot film locations and loving the scenery, I'll need to watch it again!

@VisitScotlandAmanda - I thought the scene with Robert and Elizabeth at the loch was Lithlithgow, but your website shows this photo as two locations (list view) Pinkston Watersports Centre and Berwick-Upon-Tweed. Is this right?

I visited Bannockburn many years ago when my kids were smaller. They loved the interactive game of the battle. Is it still there?

I've enjoyed hiking Loudoun Hill in Ayrshire twice. It's a scenic short hike with views across the shire on a clear day.

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @DMWScotland  the scene is indeed from Linlithgow Palace - you're correct! I've just checked with the person who made the map and they used that image as the default on locations where we didn't have extra pictures but I've asked them to change this so it's clearer for everyone! 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Here is perhaps a less well-known Robert the Bruce location. Cullen in the Moray Firth.

Elizabeth de Burgh was the second wife of King Robert the Bruce. She died in 1327 - after falling from her horse while visiting the Auld Kirk in Cullen – there was a royal residence in Cullen at that time. Her body was being prepared for the journey to Dunfermline Abbey for burial, but locals were concerned that her remains may not survive the journey, so her internal organs were removed and buried in Cullen. 

You can now walk up to the top of Castle Hill in Cullen - as the footpath has now been restored ( opened this summer 2018) - so you can to see the magnificent views.  Here are some photos to show you what a amazing place it is!

All images copyright to Must See Scotland  

The independent online guide to Scotland, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation. must-see-scotland.com