Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Self Catering Accommodation

Sometimes it’s nice to just go at our own pace. As in... get up at 11 and eat breakfast for lunch.

Opt for a self-catering lodge, mobile home, rent an apartment – take over an entire castle if you want – and you can eat breakfast for dinner every day.

It’s your holiday, after all.

Have you been self-catering in Scotland? Tell us where you stayed, and if you'd recommend it! 

Comments

• ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandAmy In January 2016 we stayed in a lovely detached cottage in the tiny village of Rockcliffe in Dumfries and Galloway. Being on the shoreline, it was just a few steps from the beach. You really felt you were getting away from it all, particularly when we discovered how dark it was outside at night as the village had no street lights! Tide times permitting, it was lovely to be able to walk from our holiday cottage along the beach with the dogs to Kippford, the next village, where there is a nice dog friendly pub. D&G is a lovely area to explore as it offers a bit of everything - scenery, history, culture and plenty of walking opportunities.

• VisitScotlandAmyVisitScotlandAmy Administrator
    What a stunning view from the window @ElaineR! Looks very relaxing and perfect for a winter weekend away, without having to travel too far. 
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandAmy we've just returned from staying in a rather unique holiday let ecohouse in Machrihanish. Never seen anything quite like it before - from some angles, you would hardly even know that it's there at all.  It's actually classed as a deluxe holiday property - it has everything you could want or need, including its own sauna. A fine example of a Green Tourism holiday property.

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I love the self catering accommodation at Calgary Bay on the Isle of Mull. We had a wonderful stay there a few years back.  They also have an excellent tea room @ Calgary Arts which serves lovely homemade soups, sandwiches and cakes. 

Last year we stayed at a fabulous self catering cottage belonging to Hotel Hebrides in Tarbert, Harris.  It was really well equipped and an excellent base for exploring Harris and Lewis. 

Earlier this year we had the best of both worlds at the remote Alt Motel near Lairg.  Our room was a fully equipped self catering unit with its own front door but we had a small bar serving home cooked meals on site. Perfect. The food was fabulous and we witnessed the best sunset ever while enjoying our evening meal one night. 

We're also delighted to be supporting Embrace Scotland in their new campaign to support dog friendly self catering holidays in Scotland #pawsforabreak so watch this space for more self catering favourites coming soon.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @ElaineR That looks fab.  Hope you and the wee westies had a lovely break.  We're glamping in an eco yurt this weekend in rural Perthshire.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I recently had the opportunity to stay at Airhouses near Lauder in the Scottish Borders. Such a spectacular house and surroundings - a great base for exploring the Borders. 

It really is a home from home. Although Capercaillie accommodates up to 10 people they do also have smaller lodges and a camping pod on the farm too. Well worth a look:

http://www.melaniechadd.co.uk/2016/10/01/airhouses/
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Following our recent stay near Machrihanish (Kintyre, Argyll & the isles) I thought I would share this little gem with you: http://www.melaniechadd.co.uk/2016/11/13/seasgair-machrihanish/

Perfect home from home self catering cottage in a perfect location for exploring. 

• CjhstewCjhstew Member
    When the flat says that linens are furnished,  will I receive fresh each week or will I need to wash and dry what I find when I arrive?  We are renting a flat for a month in Edinburgh.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Cjhstew - it might be best to check with your accommodation provider. I'm sure they'll be able to answer any concerns you may have :)
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram