Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Rhododendrons

Hello I am new !
I am British but live in France I have friends who are flying in to Edinburgh -  getting a hire car, doing their own hotel bookings etc but are asking me what is the best time of the year to see the rhododendrons in full bloom - are there any specific gardens around Edinburgh is there a sort of Rhododendron Road - I always went to Pitlochry and there are a lot up there but are there many near Edinburgh  any ideas you can prvide will be of great help to them and thank you in advance for your replies  Have a nice evening
Tagged:

Best Answers

• LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You usually see them in full bloom around June and July. However they're not at all popular (with me at least and anyone involved with looking after native woodland) due to the fact that they're a non-native species and tend to choke out the surrounding environment. In many places we are actively trying to cut them back and in some cases eradicate them entirely. They don't provide any real benefit to the local ecology - birds generally don't nest in them, and the undergrowth is too dark for anything else to live in it. The leaves are also toxic so nothing eats them.

I think the Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh have them though. 

Answers

• GretnaGreenGretnaGreen Member
    Hi and thank yu Amanda for this info
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Cluny House Gardens near Aberfeldy in Perthshire is a brilliant place to see rhododenrons. It is free to visit. 

Also Blair Castle, Blair Atholl, Perthshire - they have beautiful gardens which I think also have rhododendrons. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @GretnaGreen A little bit further away but you can see them at Brodick Castle on Arran too. The Castle is due to reopen in the spring 2019.
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    I have over 20 varieties of Rhododendrons in my garden in Pitlochry, Perthshire. You are more than welcome to come and see them for yourself.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @fishypro such lovely blooms!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram