Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2019

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Lonely Planet just announced their top regions to visit in 2019, and alongside Northern Peru, Gujarat in India and the Far East of Russia; the Scottish Highlands and Islands have been named in the list!  But what makes this part of Scotland so good to Lonely Planet?

Whisky

There's been 20 distilleries opened in the Highlands and Islands in the past two years, and there's plans for 20 more to open by 2020.  Lonely Planet describes whisky as the 'essence' of the Highlands and Islands, and states that it is one of the main attractions to the area.  Scotland does whisky better than anyone else in the world, so it is completely worth the visit!

Exploration

Vastly wild and uninhabited, Scotland's Highlands and Islands are stunning to explore.  You're bound to find something new, or a hidden gem, or something you had no idea was there before each and every time. What have you got planned for your next Highlands and Islands adventure?

Stunning Accommodation

There are so many unique and amazing places to stay in the Highlands and Islands, from cottages to castles, to wigwams, to old train carriages.  You're bound to find the weird and wonderful in terms of places to stay, like the beautiful Clachaig Inn at Glencoe!

What makes the Highlands and Islands great for you?  Leave your reasons below!  :)
Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I haven't been to any of the islands yet (sadly) but I can see why people love the Highlands so much. I have been to stay at The Lazy Duck a couple of times and loved being surrounded by so much nature (including red squirrels) in their cozy cabins

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • I grew up on Lewis and live in Drumnadrochit and I can’t see myself ever moving away from the Highlands and Islands. It’s the extremes that have kept me here, from the landscapes, to the sea, to the light and even the weather. There’s nothing like a good Hebridean storm to blow away the cobwebs... and the peatstack! 🙂

And this is the route of my commute to work, it would be a real wrench to have to move away!

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @LochNessPhotography this is stunning!! You surely are lucky to call this home  <3
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram