Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Students with limited pockets

Hi there!
   A friend of mine are thinking of travelling, for three weeks or so, to Scotland (though we wouldn't mind Ireland, either) and considering our preferences and limitations, I wanted to ask you about it.
   My friend and I, we are: two girls, 24 years old, art students, suuper chill, no hard partying required at all, but meeting (preferably nice, ha) people over a drink or a good burger or whatever is aaalways a happy occasion, nature is a must but we would like a bit of city as well, and to visit more than one place, move around a little but we no backpacking, exactly. And last but definitely not least, we are looking for it to be as inexpensive as possible, accepting all the sacrifices this might entail, of course. You can't have everything. Oh, and we would stay about three weeks, in July (my friend isn't the biggest fan of cold cilmates, but depending on what you tell me I might whisper it between coughs and move on to a different subject very quickly).
   Oh, and if there are some festivals or cool events that you know of... Of course we will do our own research further along, but we are just brewing this whole thing, so maybe you can point something out for us?
   Considering aaall of this, do you think some kind of trip to Scotland/Ireland is viable, altogether? Maybe there is no inexpensive for three weeks in these places.
   Thanks!! :)

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @RosarioSoley! Travelling is always more affordable when you start booking and planning in advance so it's good that you are thinking about your trip now! 

Train tickets are best to be purchased within 12 weeks of travel, but what I would suggest doing for now is a cost comparison of estimated train prices versus the cost of hiring a car and see which way will be the most affordable for you to visit the places you'd like to see.

In terms of what you're looking to see and do, you have plenty of options. Depending where you're coming from I'm assuming you'll likely arrive into Scotland in either Glasgow or Edinburgh which are both great cities with plenty to offer in terms of nice pubs and bars, outdoor walks, beautiful buildings and galleries etc. From both cities we have lots of transport links that will then take you out to other towns and places around the country - take a look on the Trainline website. 

Since you're both art students you might want to also consider spending some time in Dundee where our V&A has recently opened! 

And from the outdoorsy side of things it will just depend what's most appealing to you - are you interested to see lochs, the highlands, some of our islands + beaches? Let us know what sounds good and we can offer more suggestions! 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • Hello @RosarioSoley! Travelling is always more affordable when you start booking and planning in advance so it's good that you are thinking about your trip now! 

Train tickets are best to be purchased within 12 weeks of travel, but what I would suggest doing for now is a cost comparison of estimated train prices versus the cost of hiring a car and see which way will be the most affordable for you to visit the places you'd like to see.

In terms of what you're looking to see and do, you have plenty of options. Depending where you're coming from I'm assuming you'll likely arrive into Scotland in either Glasgow or Edinburgh which are both great cities with plenty to offer in terms of nice pubs and bars, outdoor walks, beautiful buildings and galleries etc. From both cities we have lots of transport links that will then take you out to other towns and places around the country - take a look on the Trainline website. 

Since you're both art students you might want to also consider spending some time in Dundee where our V&A has recently opened! 

And from the outdoorsy side of things it will just depend what's most appealing to you - are you interested to see lochs, the highlands, some of our islands + beaches? Let us know what sounds good and we can offer more suggestions! 
    Ahhh, I kind of want to see everything, lochs, highlands, islands, beaches. Water (be it lake or sea) and woods are my favorite kind of landscape, but those hills. I don't know, I'm terribly excited. Someone suggested the helpx website, where people post looking for volunteer work in exchange of accomodation and food, mostly, etc. in hostels, B&B and farms!!!! Sounds like a super duper dream to me, ha. But I'm still looking for an estimate of how much my friend and I would be spending per week, or something like that. Of course, we are willing to make it inexpensive, but there's only so much we can do, the rest is, well, the actual conditions and economy and, basically, reality. Ha. 
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    You will realistically be able to see everything you've mentioned in 3 weeks which is great, and now it will just depend on what your budget is. I'd suggest beginning to book things as soon as possible!

In terms of how much you'd be spending per week, it will depend on the type of accommodation you book and where it is. In terms of eating and drinking, the cost of a pint is roughly £4 at most places (give or take) and a gin an tonic is around £5. Of course these things will be much cheaper if you choose to drink at your accommodation rather than at a pub! Foodwise you'll be able to find easy 'on the go' food via meal deals which you can get at Boots/Sainsbury's/Tesco etc which is around £3.40 for a sandwich, snack and drink. If you're looking to go out for a meal you might expect to pay around £10 for a main (roughly - of course this will depend on where you go).

Another option that I forgot to mention before is that we have very inexpensive buses as well - which would likely bring your cost down even further than if you were to drive or train. Here's some more info here: https://www.visitscotland.com/travel/getting-around-scotland/coach/
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @RosarioSoley I did a month long (solo) trip by pubic transport, backpacking and camping and the entire cost came to a touch above £1000 for the entire month, all included. This is roughly the cheapest budget I can fathom and I have written extensively about my trip experience on this thread: https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/1410/backpacking-around-scotland-without-a-car-a-firsthand-experience

Happy to share my budget travel tips from across Scotland. My travel blog has writeups from a number of my travels which include public transport logistics. Give them a wee read. Happy to help give itinerary suggestions based on interest.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)