Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Where are the best areas to go off-track hiking?

I need a big area (3000 km^2 +) area to go off-track hiking for a scouting project. We have around 10 teams, which will go off-track hiking for 10 days. 
The area should be wild and it should'nt have a lot of civilisation.

Answers

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @Xena_EB19! I'm not sure we have an area of 3000km^2 that would fit your brief, however you may want to consider the Cairngorms, which is roughly 1100km^2 :) 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • Hi @Xena_EB19, you don't say when you're planning to do this and the experience of the groups. That could all have a bearing on where to go. 

The Cape Wrath Trail may suit you, it is a fairly serious undertaking and takes you through some of the more remote areas in Scotland. The Cairngorms National Park could be an option for a few days or you could even try and link up a Coast to Coast. I know people who have started off over in the Eastern Cairngorms and finished up in Fort William. There's the option there for high camps along the way or on some of the open moorland around Corrour Station. 

A friend of mine has written a number of long distance walks in Scotland that might give you you a wee bit of inspiration too.