Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

East coast

Hi we are planing a road trip for next summer along the east coast in a motorhome and  looking for recommendations of campsite that we can stay for one night.  Also as my son is a keen photographer  any recommendations of places to stop along the way.  I am always on the lookout for any local foods specialities  if you have any suggestions that we can try. 

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited October 2018
    Hi @Newtoscotland
    You can sample Arbroath smokies which are a type of smoked haddock and as its name suggests comes from Arbroath on the East Coast. For more Scottish specialities, please open this link
    I recommend seeing/visiting Dunnottar Castle near Stonehaven. It's a wonderful setting and provides an opportunity for great photos. Also a visit to Footdee in Aberdeen is a wonderful experience.
    I wish you a great holiday in Scotland next year. 
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello! As you drive along the east coast you'll encounter plenty of lovely villages throughout Fife that should be great for photographing! I also recommend if you pass through St Andrews to climb to the top of the tower as the views out to sea are stunning and very photogenic :) 

Stonehaven is also home to one of the top fish n chip shops in Scotland so make sure you stop in and get yourself a takeaway with chips, fish and mushie peas!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Newtoscotland, welcome to the Community!  North Berwick, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Banff are great places to stop by too.  Fife is a great place for traditional and local produce so have a wee look and see what you can find!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Also, @Newtoscotland, here's a map of some caravan sites in the east coast of Scotland, north of the Forth.

Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.