Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

East Lothian, what to see and do?

LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
Last weekend I jumped at the chance to visit an area of Scotland I hadn’t yet explored.. East Lothian! 

Being a pretty die hard west coaster, and if you follow me anywhere on social media, you’ll know that I’m passionate about photographing the mountains and beaches of the west coast so an opportunity to see what the east coast had to offer in both landscapes and activities was something I wasn’t going to turn down! 

I only had the two days, and even though I squeezed a lot into that time, I’m curious to know if there is anything you have seen or done in that region that I didn’t make it to? 

My weekend started with a visit to Foxlake Adventures https://www.foxlake.co.uk/ in Dunbar! Here I spent a couple of hours zip lining through a tree top adventure course and they also had segways trips on offer, a water based assault course and wakeboarding, which looked like great fun! 

Foxlake Adventures 

From here, I travelled to Musselburgh Racecourse http://www.musselburgh-racecourse.co.uk/ to experience something new to me, an afternoon of horse racing as it was the Caledonian Cup and also get treated to some amazing food and tasty beers! And although I’m not a big gambler, winning a massive £1.20 on a race :smiley: was a brilliant experience haha! 

The Pommery Lawn, where I was wined and dined.. 

Musselburgh Racecourse, some fine flat racing.. 

So on to my search for some photogenic views to try and capture.. and I was not left disappointed by East Lothian! Only a short walk from my accommodation in a modern family studio at Gilsland Park https://www.gilslandpark.co.uk/ was Berwick Law, which gave fine views out to Bass Rock and Tantallon Castle as well as over the rolling countryside, a perfect vantage point for sunrise and sunset! It also had a really
cool whale jaw bone at the summit, incredible to see and imagine the scale of these animals! 

Summit of Berwick Law, Bass Rock in the background.. 

Another hike I did was up Traprain Law, an ancient hilltop settlement dating back to the Bronze Age and also an old volcanic plug! Some fine views across East Lothian were had here!

Seacliff beach was a must as I had seen many photographs from this location, and I was glad to see it for myself! Perfect views to Tantallon Castle, perched on the cliff top and fine views to the massive gannet colony of Bass Rock are obtainable here!

Tantallon Castle 

Bass Rock

Have you visited the castle or been on one of the boat trips to Bass Rock?  

My sunday day started off with a trip to the leisure centres in North Berwick and Dunbar, making full use of their swimming pools and gyms, the pool in Dunbar even had a wave machine which was really cool! Perfect places to spend a wet and cold morning when outdoors activities maybe aren’t as possible http://www.enjoyleisure.com/ 

Have you any other suggestions of things to do on a wet day in East Lothian? 

My final attraction I visited was Glenkinchie Whisky Distillery! I had always wanted to to a tour of a distillery, especially as whisky is one of my favourite tipples and it was interesting to hear the story from our guide about the whole process of making one of Scotland’s best known exports! 

Huge copper washstills at Glenkinchie Whisky Distillery.. 

So these are a few of the things I managed to squeeze into a weekend! Are you from East Lothian, or have you visited anything in the region that you can suggest for my next visit? 

Id love to hear about them! 
Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp

Comments

• LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I almost forgot, I’ll blame a few too many whiskys :smiley: about a quick visit to Tree-ditions Woodlands Crafts School!

As an outdoor worker, I already have some knowledge of how you can use the natural environment to obtain food and shelter, but Tree-ditions offers various training courses to help you gain more knowledge into skills in bushcraft, survival and green woodworking! Definitely worth checking them out if you are in the area! https://www.tree-ditions.com/
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @lochgmarp, I've not explored East Lothian properly, but I think I might have to after seeing this!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Thanks for sharing @Lochgmarcp

For anyone wanting to visit Tantallon, you can get to North Berwick on the train from Edinburgh very easily!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandLiam it’s really does have a lot to offer, way more than I realised tbh! Would recommend it for a day out or longer! And thank you @VisitScotlandAmanda that’s really handy to know :smiley: