Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

VisitScotland Coo-Van Adventures

FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Events and festivals
I am lucky enough to be spending this summer touring around Scotland as one of VisitScotland's Coo-Visers. One of eight members of the outreach team who will be visiting various events and attractions across the country. 

We have three very special heilan coo vans that will also be making appearances with us too. 

Our aim is to engage with locals and visitors to Scotland, providing inspiration and extending the personal touch that the traditional visitor centres already have. Being “out in the field” means that information can be accessible and we can pass on details of attractions and other things to see in the area and across Scotland. The outreach programme is also a great way to make people aware they are able to buy tickets (sometimes with a discount) for attractions, book accommodation or tours in the VisitScotland VIC’s across the country. 

We shall be using this thread to update you with the events and attractions that Hamish, Morag and Archie will be visiting. 

Our coo's are very friendly and photogenic and love to have their photo's taken so if you happen to meet them out and about please share your images on social media using the #ScotSpirit 

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Today - Sunday 22nd May - Morag will be in Glasgow. We will be visiting the Riverside Museum - 11am - 1.30pm. After that we are at the Science Centre 2pm - 5pm. 

We would love to see you. 
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited May 2016
    Morag is settled in at the Ideal Home Show!

Plus, for anyone who is admiring that painting (pictured with artist Steven Brown) - we have four to give away on stand throughout the show  ;)

Hamish is also out and about this weekend. North Berwick at PuffinFest to be exact.

The festival is on for ten days but Hamish will be there just this Saturday - 28th May 2016 - 10am - 4pm. 

Lots of family fun. 

• VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @FullStopNextChapter. I was lucky enough to meet Hamish on one of his first outings to Loch Lomond Shores in Balloch. I would just like to comment on how well behaved he was, and he had such a lovely glossy coat. He is clearly very well looked after and much loved.... :) :D <3

I remember it well @VisitScotlandLyndsay - I was there too! Beautiful day for a visit. Thank you for having us. We promise to pop in again soon and who knows you could meet Morag or Archie! 
    This coming weekend one of the heilan coo vans (and Coo-Visers, obviously) will be at Anstruther Habour Festival

Lots of things to do all weekend and if we are blessed with another weekend of sunshine it will be amazing! But don't forget your suncream! 
  • arjc1971arjc1971 Member ✭✭
    saw the Coo Van at the World Championship Mountain Biking event in Fort William.  Looked like you were very busy!
    This week the coo-vans are rather busy. 

Wednesday and Thursday we shall be exploring castles in Aberdeenshire - Dunnottar & Crathes (hopefully Drum too). 

Saturday one coo-van will be out at New Lanark visitor centre.

Sunday we're over to the Inverclyde Powerboating. 

Lots going on at many different places so if you see us out and about please do come and say hi. Don't forget to share your photos 
  • OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    @FullStopNextChapter excellent week and hopefully we'll get a few coo spotters taking pictures  :)
    This week - myself and Jen (fellow Coo--Viser) shall be taking a coo up to Ullapool. You will be able to find us at the ferry terminal on Friday. Saturday we shall be on Skye at Dunvegan Castle. Sunday will see us in Mallaig - the end of the Jacobite steam train journey. 

We are looking forward to seeing lots of people and sharing the photos on Twitter #ScotSpirit 
  • OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    @FullStopNextChapter great trip, take lots of picture please  :)
  • thetinberrytravelsthetinberrytravels Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Where's the Coo-Vans this week guys? Haven't spotted one yet @FullStopNextChapter

Check out the tinberry travels - sharing stories, adventures and travel related nonsense as I explore the world bit by bit

Find me on twitter & instagram

• John_WelcometoFifeJohn_WelcometoFife Member ✭✭✭

Love the Coo van! @FullStopNextChapter ;  I took a snap at the Anstruther Harbour Festival in May.

@thetinberrytravels - Today Archie was at Blair Castle. 

Morag will be at Hopetoun House on Sunday and for the next three days Hamish is a busy Coo - Urquhart Castle tomorrow and then Drumnadrochit on Sunday.

Next Wednesday (27th July) I will be at Stirling Castle with Morag. 

I will try and keep this thread up to date but I am out on the road quite alot. Please feel free to follow me on Twitter - @MelsNextChapter, for other details and photos etc. Our Coos would love to meet you 
    As we draw ever closer to the end of the season I would like to say thank you to everyone who has been to see us at various events and attractions around Scotland this summer. 

Hopefully we have inspired many residents of Scotland to explore their own towns and countryside a bit more. We also hope that our passion and love for coos, towns, cities, glens, mountains, whisky, history, adventure and much more was shared equally with visitors too. 

If you are finding yourself in Oban tomorrow (22nd October) or at Stirling Castle & the Wallace monument on Tuesday 25th October please do come and say hi. 

I was asked recently to write about our adventures this summer for Historic Scotland, so I thought I would share it here:

http://chainmailblog.historic-scotland.gov.uk/life-of-a-coo-viser/ 
  • simplyscotiasimplyscotia Member ✭✭
    @FullStopNextChapter  What a fun way to travel around and promote Scotland!  I enjoyed reading your post on the Historic Scotland blog.
    Come by and say hello.  :) 
    Blog:  simplyscotia.wordpress.com
    Instagram: simplyscotia
    After being in the barns over winter, the coo vans are now back out on the roads. This year we have a new addition, Heather and yesterday was her first outing. 

This weekend Heather and my fellow Coo-Visors will be out at the Motor Museum in Glasgow and the Kelpies. So if you are in that direction please say hi and get yourself a coo-selfie. If you post them to social media use #CooVan so we can see it.

The Coo-visors can also help with any Scotland trips you may be planning too.

• Granny_AGranny_A Member
    :) I think the coo vans are a great advert, I hope to catch up with one sometime soon
    Today we will be at the Blackwatch museum in Perth along with the #SCOTSPIRIT letters. 

They also have Scottish themed family crafts weekend (for a small donation).

The weather is going to be kind to us too. Come and say hi  
    Just a quick update for the rest of the week coo van plans, if you are out and about you might bump into us. 

12th April - Scottish Seabird Centre, North Berwick
    13th April - Pitlochry Dam Visitor Centre, Pitlochry
    14th April - Balgove Larder and Hill of Tarvit, St Andrews 
    16th April - Traquair House, Scottish Borders

Lots of things going on for the Easter break too 
  • AdrianMahoneyAdrianMahoney Member
    The Coo Van is coming along to the next Kinneil House open day on Sunday, August 27, 2017. Visitors will be able to get free access to this historic mansion, hear Renaissance singers, visit the neighbouring Museum and grounds - and, of course, get information from the Coo Van! More on free Kinneil open days at www.kinneil.org.uk 

@AdrianMahoney - we are looking forward to visiting. If you could arrange the weather to match the photo in your post that would be amazing! 
    Schools out for summer! What are your plans? 

Here are some of the events and attractions that we shall be attending with the Coo-Vans:

Ladies Scottish Open - Dundonald Golf course, near Troon - 27th - 30th July
    Culzean Castle, Ayrshire - 20th July
    House of Bruar, Perthshire - 26th July
    Glamis Dogs Day out, Angus - 30th July
    Turriff Show, Aberdeenshire - 30th July
    Shetland, various venues in Lerwick, Unst and across the mainland - 19th - 22nd July
    Black Isle Show - 2nd - 4th August
    Foodies, Edinburgh - 3rd - 6th August
    World Pipe Band Championships, Glasgow - 12th August
    Crannog Centre 20th Anniversary - 6th August
    Dunnottar Castle, Aberdeenshire - 14th August
    Highlander Museum, Aberdeenshire - 15th August 
    Peterhead Prison, Aberdeenshire - 16th August
    Galloway Country Fair, Dumfries & Galloway - 19th & 20th August
    Various places in Orkney - 17th - 20th August
    Edinburgh Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh - 23rd August
    Dundee Food & Flower show, Dundee - 1st, 2nd & 3rd September

I will try and keep this up to date with added dates and places as they are planned. If you see us out on the road please come & say hi and take your selfie and share on social media using #CooVan