Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Short walks with a BIG view

13»

Comments

• Nothing quite like a walk on the beach, so a trip to Tentsmuir Nature Reserve is always wonderful. With a bit of luck you will see the seals at the beach, so bring your binoculars! 
  • LauramacLauramac Member ✭✭

On the north shore of Loch Trool in Dumfries & Galloway, take the short walk or bike ride up to Bruce’s Stone, which commemorates Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland. 

The views here are breath-taking of the rolling hills and sparkling loch, and the stone is a poignant memorial of this country's troubled past.  This is one of two stones in Galloway Forest Park, the other is a short walk from Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre.

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Brimmond Hill in Aberdeenshire is a short walk with a BIG view!  After an enjoyable 25 minute walk from the car park you get a spectacular view looking right across Aberdeenshire to the city and even the North Sea! 

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Thought I'd add the walk to Un Lochan Uaine (the green loch) in Glenmore Forest Park to the list.  It's a hugely rewarding walk with an easy low level route in or a more difficult route with a rocky descent to the lochan.  I took the rocky route in and the easy route out.  The lochan is otherworldly.  So beautiful it takes your breath away.  The colour comes from the fairies washing their clothes in the water or so they say! 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The walk up to the Queen's View and The Whangie is fantastic. After only about 20 minutes walking, you see the most amazing views looking towards the south end of Loch Lomond. Unfortunately I didn't get all the way to the Whangie itself, but would definitely do this walk again so I can see it, and as  its not overly steep, it makes a great hill walking route for kids too.  :)

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    April seems to be scenic walk month for me!   I did the Fyrish Monument walk near Invergordon this morning.  It's a lovely walk through woodland at first, then along the hill top towards the monument.   The monument was commissioned by the local laird Sir Hector Munro in 1783 during the height of the Highland Clearances.  It was built to give local men work to see them through the winter during a period of poverty and famine.  In returm for their labour they were given Poor Relief. It's a beautiful monument but tinged with sadness too.  It's hard not to imagine the suffering of thr poor Highlanders during a difficult period in their history. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    There are lots of amazing 'Wee hills with big views' in the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park.   I'm working my way through them with Beinn Dubh next on my list!  

The Conic Hill was a really fantastic walk with some of the most spectacular views of Loch Lomond I have ever experienced, even although it was quite a drizzly day.  I made it back down off the hill just in time...there was quite an impressive thunderstorm! eek

On the way to Gouk Hill the views looking over Loch Lomond were also stunning!  :)

13»